Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hmmm....

Site 1: Never trust a site that says "We are the only host that...." -- clearly untrue, especially when related to streaming media. If they're lying about this, what else are they lying about?

Site 3: Don't underestimate the bandwidth requirements -- when you're streaming live from a site you want to support 56k connections, but (ideally) you want to also be able to stream higher quality audio/video to those with broadband connections... these look like they could work out quite expensive in the long run.

Have you thought about selling your music through somebody like Vitaminic or Peoplesound? They would deal with all the techie bits like streaming whilst you get to concentrate on the important things like gigging and watching the money come in ;-)

Sean

Member #
    seanmiller,

Yes . . . I intend to also avail myself of 3rd party sites. But for now, I need a hosting service for my own site.

I was really exited about the service provided by akiraweb (storage, bandwidth, cost, etc.), but I've e-mailed their sales dept. twice now, with no response.

mark4man

BTW - Cheddah; Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Sectorlink are the guys I use for hosting and I know they offer streaming; however, what I'm not sure of is how good it is. Up until now, I've never had a client who required the use of the service at all. I've been with them about 18 months (which in hosting years is approximately 50), and other than a few very minor bumps in the road and one semi-major one (a hard drive totally crapped out, which can happen, and the server itself was rebuilt from scratch in half a day), everything's been smooth sailing.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Akira Web

I use Akira for hosting very good hosting

Member #
    We host several bands websites. In all cases, they find it easier to link to a service that caters to streaming music. Several options include:

http://www.mp3.com - Not as indie friendly as the use to be.
    http://www.soundclick.com - Not a bad service.
    http://www.garageband.com - My favorite of the three. You can host your songs for free if you review "x" number of bands.

In order to use Windows Media Streaming, you must have Windows Server installed. IMHO, Windows Media streaming is very cost prohibitive for the little guy.

Anyway, I hope this helps and good luck,
    Chance S.
    OTTN, LLC
    Online Think Tank Network
    Affordable, Quality Web Hosting

Member #
    just a heads up for everyone that replied -- any host can do streaming either its real media or wma -- you only need the streaming server software if your doing live broadcasting -- also Chance. S was right most people store there media files on a totally different host from there site ..

good luck -- hope this helps
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    Mas has a point. You can put a file on a web server and link to it. When a person clicks that link, the appropriate player will stream it or they may be asked to download it. The problem with this scenario is your files are wide open for someone to download. It is also very resource intensive and can cause problems, even with the best of servers.

True streaming on the other hand requires someone to be smart enough to know how to capture the stream and the quality is not always that great. I ran an internet radio station for about a year and I always think of streaming in this sense.
    Chance S.
    OTTN, LLC
    Online Think Tank Network
    Affordable, Quality Web Hosting

Member #
    Originally posted by ottn.net
    The problem with this scenario is your files are wide open for someone to download. It is also very resource intensive and can cause problems, even with the best of servers.

you can block other sites from stealing your music files and preventing them from direct linking. for example you can make the referrer to come only from your website.. i have been providing this service for awhile -- it not resource intentsive but rather bandwidth intensive one client uses 90 gig of bw a month.. it also can be a problem if you have other websites on that server and this is when the secondary DNS kicks in because your primary is too busy
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Banned
    Member #
    If its a quality server with a min 1GB RAM you won't have a problem with multiple people on the server pulling 100GB's each. One of our servers is already doing this with server loads that average less than 0.25

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads