Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am trying to shop around and look for good deals at the moment. Money (cheapness) matters but not as much as just finding a good deal.

If anyone can recommend some reasonable companies (preferably uk) that would be extremely helpful. ;-)

Also, after I have registered the domain is that the only fee I have to pay? Is there another monthly/yearly fee or do I just point my domain at my web host when my site is ready and then that is the only monthly/yearly fee I pay?

many thank Qs

:-D

JR
    Member #
    JR

Member #
    You'll pay two fees (most likely yearly): you'll pay your webhost and your domain registrar. Neither are one time fees.

Member #
    Thanks a bunch for the help. Nothing like a complete lack of FAQs to confuse a person though! I gather I need a domain name registrar that supports domain name pointing if I want to use seperate registrar & host. See trying to find that out!! Aaaaargh!! I (think) I have found 2 that do and have e-mailed them to make sure.

lonepine

Member #
    i agree, www.unitedhositng.co.uk is great, i've been with them for a while now, i highly recommend them for anyone looking to host something on the internet.

Member #
    http://oneandone.co.uk are what i use and are very good, and have huge packages for a reasonable amount, and being the largest in europe means that you know that they are reliable.
    regards,
    robc

Member #
    1&1 are good admittedly, but I find their pricing slightly high compared to other hosts, www.34sp.com for example.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Oh bit slow at spotting this thread.

If you haven't already gone with a company I'd suggest 123-reg for registering the domain...

http://www.123-reg.co.uk/

Not only are they the cheapest registrar in Europe but they have a great customer support team and comprehensive control pannel (much easier to use and less German than 1&1). I've registered all my new domains them them and transferred all my old ones to them and have been very impressed. They also offer hosting via their sister Host Europe company Web Fusion but I can't comment on that as have not used it.

Your best (and cheapest) bet is probably to register your domains with 123-reg and then go with an independant hosting company who normally make their cash on over-priced domains; http://uk.tophosts.com/ has a list of UK hosts but the site is slightly biased so be warned.

Remove Ads