Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Same site, two locations, showing different results in testing

Hey Everyone,

I host a site on an Azure VM (it was, until a few days ago, on a shared host provider) and I created an image of the entire server - Ubuntu 14.04, LAMP, Site, db - complete mirror.

Then I took that image, applied it to a new VM, and I can go to the VMs url and everything works great.

BUT - when I run both sites through GTMetrix, and other testing sites, I get completely different results which you can see in the attached .png.

These sites are exactly the same, the server config is identical. The only difference is that one is my domain name "domainname.com" and the other is an Azure url "domain.cloudapp.net".

When I switch the DNS records to point my A record to "domain.cloudapp.net's" IP address, the results change with the A record change. Now my cloudapp.net shows the errors that it wasn't showing previously.

So, it seems, the DNS pointer/server/records are the culprit. But it's not just speed…one says my gzip isn't working, it's loading twice the data, it's going from a load time of 1.5s to 3.94s, and other scores are completely different - minimize css, optimize images - things that I wouldn't think should be effected by a dns change.

I'm completely stumped

Any thoughts on why this is happening, how to fix?

Thanks!
    Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Remove Ads