Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JR
    Member #
    I know relatively nothing about hosting and domains so excuse me for my lack of knowledge...

What I am looking for is having 2 domains but one hosting account. Is this something that hosts offer and what do I look for?

I do not want the 2 domains to go to the same site, I want them to go to seperate sites in different folders.

Thanks
    JR

Member #
    Hi Jr

you can setup the DNS for the second domain to redirect to a different folder -- sometime depending who your hosting with can do this for you. also your domain registra can forward the domain to a directory . not all registra's offer this service ..

hope this helps
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

JR
    Member #
    Thanks for the info. Is there anything specific I should look for on hosting websites?
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Just look for the ability to host 2 domains on one account, they'll usually set up a mini-reseller account. Or just look for a reseller account. I have 2 domains on my hosting currently, and it acts just like I mentioned.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Just have each site upload to the individual URL and you wont have any problem, aslong as like Brak said they offer multiple domains
    regards,
    robc

Member #
    Originally posted by JR
    Thanks for the info. Is there anything specific I should look for on hosting websites?

yes the best way is to get a reseller account using cpanel , but if your trying to save some money -- do it the way i stated before via domain forwarding .. or offer sub domains -- example.webdesignforums.net

:chinese:
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

JR
    Member #
    I don't want a reseller account because you have to pay monthly. I was just looking for a dirt-cheap host to host a couple of non-serious sites on.
    JR

Member #
    Just buy the domains, and have them direct via cloaking to sub folders. for example, my friend has www.hissite1.com, and www.hissite1.fr (because he is french). ww.hissite1.com redirects to hiswebspace/uk, and www.hissite1.fr redirects to hiswebspace/fr.

If that makes sense (I've changed the site names to give it a better example).
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    o ok ---

yeh use one hosting account and forward the domains to the directory would be the way to go ..

i know namecheap (registra) has a forwarding option available. for example if you had a directoy called /newsite1 --and it was hosting on the same account as webdesign.com you will point the second domain to http://www.webdesign.com/newsite1 -- so when a user type in www.newsite1.com they will get the index.htm in the newsite1 directory ---
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

JR
    Member #
    Right ok, thanks

So, if I wanted to register site1.com and site2.com what would I point them towards.

If I pointed site2.com to site.com/site2, would the latter be displayed in the address bar when site2.com is typed in?
    JR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads