Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Well, I searched high and low, and I can't find the catch. I have sworn up and down this forum that there is no such thing as ad-free hosting, but apparently I have found an exception. www.1and1.com is offering free hosting for 3 years. 500 megs, 5 gigs of bandwidth, point 100 domains, etc . I signed up and pointed an extra domain I have towards it, and it seems to be working fairly decently.

To sign up, you need to give them a phone number, and they have an automated machine call you and give you a PIN to activate your account. This is to prevent multiple signups.

So many people around here use free hosting, this may be something worth checking out. You don't have much to lose.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Obviously, though, don't put anything important on it.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, it's not really free hosting.... it's a promotional deal to get customers as they are launching in North America. Come January people will be having to pay for hosting, but they'll have all those referees to lure their mates in.

Expect to get some "sign up a friend" incentives come January of February... well, that would be my gut feeling... you know the sort of thing... 100MB more free space for every name you supply who "bites"

I have been "stung" by oneandone in the UK with their 1.99/year deal on .co.uk domains -- what they don't tell you is that for that money you get the domain and web forwarding, but if you actually want to host it *anywhere* other than oneandone you need to move it elsewhere (for free, of course, but by the time you've paid the other company to accept it (which always, in my experience, means renewing it for at least another year) you're out of pocket).

So I stick with 123reg, who I have used for years, where I *can* change my nameservers without moving the domain :-)

Sean

Member #
    In January, new customers will have to pay for hosting, but as it's described, I will have free hosting for 3 years (or for however long they stay in business). Their domain registration is cheaper than GoDadddy, which makes me suspicious. I won't register a domain through them, but if I buy any more domains from GoDaddy, I can have an entire website for just the $8 domain registration fee. Their interface wasn't the best, and it didn't work per their instructions, but after some tinkering, I was able to use an extra GoDaddy-registered domain I had with their hosting. Not bad to just play around with.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I would imagine that they will stay in business a while... they are very high profile in the UK... you can't buy an internet magazine without pages and pages of oneandone glossy adverts promoting dedicated servers for ridiculously low prices like 30/month... as I just said, however, it is all deceptive... these dedicated servers have 40GB hard drives, but only 10GB/month bandwidth... so you are actually not getting that great a deal... certainly not something you could use for hosting a busy site as the bandwidth is not capped, you pay for overusage at a rate of 0.005/MB.... doesn't sound much, does it? Until you realise that's 5/GB so 20GB of usage in a month is going to raise their price from 30/month to 80/month... OUCH!!!

If you think about the 3 year deal in this context it seems pretty sound business sense... get a few "pioneers" onboard who will sell these sorts of products to their friends... within months the people paying will more make up for the amount of potential revenue oneandone are losing from those who have been given the space for free...

In addition, the 3 year deal is a single domain so they are probably banking on the fact that many of these satisfied customers will buy additional space from them. Rather like a "free no obligation trial with attitude" ;-)

Sean

Member #
    Yeah, it's certainly not the end all solution to everyone's hosting needs, but for those who need hosting to try stuff out on, or for those that can't afford hosting or don't have a credit card and want to take a chance, they don't have much to lose. Also, they allow for up to "100 domains" per account, which of course would start costing you in bandwidth well before you even came close to that number.

Needless to say, I won't be cancelling my contract with my paid host for my portfolio, or any of the hosting agreements that my clients are on. :ichatangel:

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I didn't notice the "external domains" bit... interesting concept this $0.99/GB if they haven't asked for a credit card number... wonder what they'll do ? Suspend sites until the owners supply a card number?

Sean

Member #
    Yeah, that's what I'm guessing. I never gave them my credit card, and I know that I'll never go over that limit. No one even knows the domain name I'm using. But you could set up some websites pretty cheaply as a joke or whatnot. I don't know what else they can do besides shut down your site until you give them your credit card number to pay for your overage. A very interesting experiment, I'll keep you posted as soon as I get screwed! :-p

Member #
    Originally posted by seanmiller

I have been "stung" by oneandone in the UK with their 1.99/year deal on .co.uk domains -- what they don't tell you is that for that money you get the domain and web forwarding, but if you actually want to host it *anywhere* other than oneandone you need to move it elsewhere (for free, of course, but by the time you've paid the other company to accept it (which always, in my experience, means renewing it for at least another year) you're out of pocket).
    Sean
    Well to be fair to them the reason the price is so low is to help get more hosting sold, not so people can just pay the 2 quid and get cheaper hosting which charges much more for domains.

Member #
    They might just be doing it to get your phone number to sell to solicitors :-O.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads