Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Well I just uploaded one of my clients sites and apperently register.com felt like putting a nice banner at the bottom of the page. Its like a big frame 100% wide by about 200 px high. There telling her it costs $50 to take it off. Are they allowed to do this?

The site is www.pascosouthwest.com
    Jason Anderson
    Grommet Designs
    Web / Graphic Design

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    LOL !!!

Did she get the domain for free, or at a discounted rate? You should always read your agreements before buying domain names (EDIT: or anything, for that matter !!!)... things like this can and will happen.

Incidentally, it will only cost $8.95 to remove it... just move the domain to GoDaddy.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Do they host it, or was the domain name just registered through them?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Originally posted by Grommet
    Well I just uploaded one of my clients sites and apperently register.com felt like putting a nice banner at the bottom of the page. Its like a big frame 100% wide by about 200 px high. There telling her it costs $50 to take it off. Are they allowed to do this?

The site is www.pascosouthwest.com

Well Register.com didnt screw your client -- you client has register.com hosting the site for free .. -- if he choose to pay a host to host his/her site then the banner will be removed -- the nameserver for the domain are pointing to register.com ip numbers

good luck
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I dunno what my clients doing. I believe her friend is hosting her site is what she told me. If and when she contacts me again ill see whats up. I will also ask her if she paid for it. Thanks for the help guys.
    Jason Anderson
    Grommet Designs
    Web / Graphic Design

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    http://reports.internic.net/cgi-bin/...om&type=domain

Change the nameservers to the servers for her host (and please God tell me that she's not hosting it on Register.com), and there isn't any real possible way for them to tamper with it.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks Filb, I fowarded that to her and told her to send it to her friend thats hosting her. She usually emails me on weekdays so ill see what she does monday most likley.
    Jason Anderson
    Grommet Designs
    Web / Graphic Design

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Actually, transio is wrong. That's right. transio, The Omniscient One is WRONG! And I caught him! Yes I did! CALL RIPLEY! (Call collect though, I ain't paying long distance.)

Domain transfers to GoDaddy are regularly $7.75, but for a limited time are $6.95. They even tack a year onto your registration. BOOYAH! Fear me! Go Ga-ame! It's your birthday!

Okay, I've had my moment. Now to be serious...at least as much as I can be.

Register.com for anything (hosting, domain registration, etc.) is just plain wrong. Friends don't let friends use Register.com. Buuuuuuuuuut...it may not be as bad as it appears. If the site isn't listed in search engines, and it appears that it isn't, and it's being hosted for free, as it appears that it is, then you should leave it the way it is for now. Why, you might ask? Because you can redesign/redevelop the site using someone else's resources at no cost to your client (by the way, I assume that you are going to redo this site and lose the six million fonts including Comic Sans MS.) So your client's situation may not be as dire as it initially appears.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Yes you see in the begining there was one (font), however this chick insists that she have 5000000 fonts and stupid little gifs. She puts all that in herself, i take no credit for the random stupid crap.
    Jason Anderson
    Grommet Designs
    Web / Graphic Design

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Originally posted by TheGAME1264
    transio is wrong
    It's wrong that I'm so good with the ladies. Just downright unfair. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads