Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Domains/Hosting

Member #
    I am in the process of purchasing two domains:

www.businesssite.co.uk
    www.personalsite.com

I, as I am the type to save money, I am wishing only to purchase one hosting package .
    I am from the UK, and so personally a UK based host would be good. I have been considering www.34sp.com for hosting, but looking at their support forums, their uptime seems a little shady? Anyone to swing me or any other ideas?

My requirements are fairly simple:
    • 50MB webspace minimum, preferably 100MB.
    • 2GB bandwidth minimum, preferably more.
    • CGI,PHP support, plus any more available.
    • web based email/POP3, plus optional autoresponders & aliases.
    • Good, Simple easy to use control panel.
    I think that is it, but if I have missed anything please let me know.

Once I have registered the two domains and the hosting, how would I go about pointing the domains to my hosting, because I want them to be on the same hosting account, with the business site going to one subfolder, but the personal site going to a different subfolder completely, but I want the status bar to remain with www.personalsite.co.uk/page.html for example, and the links to point to www.personalsite.co.uk/page.html as well. Another thing I would like is split statistics...?

If somebody could give me more information on how to do this, and everything else I have listed in this quite lengthy post, please do.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

JR
    Member #
    Originally posted by justlivyalife
    [B]their uptime seems a little shady? Anyone to swing me or any other ideas?
    Mine is fine. You could always be really sad and monitor your website 24/7 to see if it falls below 99.9% uptime (as that is what it says on their site) and then complain.
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    If the host is using CPanel control panel, you can point the domains from there. Provided that the host has enabled this feature for you. Look for parked domains and addon domains.
    There and Back Again :Ogre:

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I don't know how much you want to spend, but I'd reccomend using Uzipp, they've gone through a few bumps in the road, but are getting into a nice clear patch and their support staff is pretty responsive and helpful. For $5/mo you can get 600mb space, 6gig bandwidth, Unlimited Domains, and Unlimited (unmetered too) mysql databases. It really is a great deal.

I've been using them for quite a while, and while I've had problems with their uptime sometimes, it's drastically improved now that they've moved their servers to a better datacenter.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    BTW as for your last question, unlimited domains means you will be able to set up two completely different sites. The DIY plan I speak of is really a reseller.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    I go to look and see if I can purchase www.robwebdesign.com, and i get a wesite for an attorney? Is there any way I can obtain rights to that page or not? the .co.uk, and .net versions are still available though
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Originally posted by justlivyalife
    I am in the process of purchasing two domains:

www.businesssite.co.uk
    www.personalsite.com

If somebody could give me more information on how to do this, and everything else I have listed in this quite lengthy post, please do.
    any host can point multiple domains to one account -- they will have to set up the DNS AND webserver config file to redirect it .. cpanel makes this easy for the host to do via the control panel -- even your registra can redirect the domain to a file or directory depending on who you register the domains with
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    I've been a client with Brandblast and they've been great so far, they say their uptime is 99.999 and I believe it cuz my website hasn't been down since I signed up, I get a lot of features and support is always good when I need it, they also have the plan where you could host more than one website under one account, so it might work for you, their website is http://brandblast.com

Member #
    I wouldnt worry about uptime too much cause all computer crash at one point or another -- it really a matter of how fast can it get back up without the end user notice .. I see alot of host saying 99.9% uptime but what about the .1% where does that play a role or does it leave a door open some little downtime..
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    Gemini,

I have to disagree, uptime is a huge decision to make when choosing a host, I haven't seen a host with 100% uptime nor would I choose one that said such a ludicrous thing.

You're right, sites have some downtime, but 99.9 and 99.5
    are big differences when you're talking a month of hosting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads