Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Member #
    Originally posted by beverman
    Well the problem I have (im new to all of this) is I am trying to set up a server on my PC over a LAN, this is because I cannot set up a server on a HUB (dur...) I found this impossible... is it really impossible? if someone has done it could you please help me?

ok people -- if you have a Hub Then you have a Lan if you dont have a hub and you just connected 2 computers together via a crosss over wire then you dont have a Lan -- you just have 2 computers connected --
    class over

ok to setup a server you just need the right software -- in order to execute a php script you need the php module installed ..
    if you want your server public to the internet then its best to have a router and hub
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    Thats the easy part.. iv tryed using Xitami and orange but other people out side of my LAN cannot connect... i am currently downloading apache... not long to go now
    *i'm talking about starting a server for the net over a LAN connection not a server for the LAN.. you know?*

Member #
    well you need to give the people on the net your public ip number and not your LAN IP -- your public ip number comes from your ISP --- if your on DSL then you have a dynamic ip in which your ip changes all the time .. or you can call them to request a static ip -- now if u have a router then you can set your router up to forward traffic to your Lan server ip -- so a user types ur public ip number --it goes to your router then your router forward the traffic to your server -- and also your router will make sure port 80 is open
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    Thanks thatís the info iv been looking for, I logged on to my router and it lets me set up a virtual server. It asks for the following information; an ip address (it has the first few spaces filled out to the LANs ip addressee so Iím thinking that this does the forwarding?) then a private port followed by tcp or upt? Selection then a public port.
    so after setting up the router I would need to let people know my ip that I got from my ISP.. I think its something along the lines of 175.169.something something (it tells me on the router...

*I think im getting the right idea now*

Member #
    thats correct --make sure u set it to TCP and port 80
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    Sweet.. Ok i got Xitami working... well i can log on to it from my PC or my dads and i set the router to redirect trafic to my ip.
    when people try to connect to my PC they will have to put in my?

I have;
    under a header "internet"
    WAN IP
    Gateway IP
    DNS
    Secondary DNS

under a header "gateway"
    IP Address
    Subnet Mask

My guess is gateway ip under the internet section?

Member #
    they will have to put in your ip number from your isp (public)---

u can use a webhost or domain redirect company to direct a domain name to your public ip number -- so all you have to do is give them the domain name to point --
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    Excellent... ill have to check that out in the morning, thanks for all the help and ill be sure to post back if I get it working, something tells me I wont but ill try my best.

Member #
    its all up works good... only i havnt got the server PC up yet still need a HDD and case with PSU going to get one soon (hours my site is up 10:00AM - 12:00PM) in australia.. i dunno what the time would be anywere else www.28bevers.does.it

Member #
    im glad i could have helped -- site looks nice
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads