Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Member #
    Thanx buddy

Member #
    Official server up today! Its a P3 800MHz with 256 SDRAM @ 133MHz 17GB HDD.. i am planning to leave it on 24/7 does anybody know if this is a good idea or should i have it off like once a week so I donít over do it? Iíve heard somewhere that itís good for it to leave it on.

Member #
    If you've got a good fan installed then I think it should be okay to leave it on full time, although you should of course virus scan it regularly, and make sure you back it all up.

Your site is a bit of a slow load however...
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    heheh i was downloading at 70KB/s last night on my 256K connection so i think thats wh it was so slow.. as soon as i get money ill have to get its own connection maybe 512K that would be cool www.28bevers.does.it if you missed the link before i hope this doesnt count as spamming.

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Beverman, what is the operating system on your server?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    You can definately set up a web server at your house, but the IP isn't always "static" like they tell you, sometimes it changes after several months... you have to be aware of that, so I wouldn't run anything too important at home.

Other than that, it's fun and it can be done Good luck with it.

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Very ture. Then again, that's what no-ip.com sites are for
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Yep, but you still have to update the IP

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Not always true. Many sites like the former DNS2Go could install clients that would periodically send heartbeats back to the server to update your IP address for you.

DynDNS just e-mails me days before my hostname expires and my IP address nearly never changes even though it's DHCP.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Originally posted by Wired
    Beverman, what is the operating system on your server?
    Iím using windows 2k3... it seems to work well. except for the FTP doesnít work allot of people are having the same problem with windows 2003 and the FTP. People can connect without any problem but it comes up with an errorÖ something about passive mode.. and it wont display the listÖ anyway.. I just use my other PC with windows xp on it its annoying but I have no choice (it also has the same error if I use a totally different FTP server like bullet proof FTP.
    I am also using myserver.org for the dynamic IP works grate cool program comes with it too

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Remove Ads