Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, it's Sunday night, it's 11:00, so naturally it's a great time for hosts to telemarket. They're sure to find business by doing that, right? And naturally, when you turn them down because any host worth their salt wouldn't need to tell me what great deals they offer at 11:00 at night and that a good portion of the host's price pays the same idiot who just decided to randomly disturb me, for some reason they get upset with that.

Well, I've had it. I'm pissed off. I'm saying to hell with them and I'm starting this thread so that at least one other person out there will avoid these people at any and all costs. And I'm gonna start with the 5 hosts who hit me up in the last hour (I'm not providing hyperlinks since I'm not giving them the benefit of direct and/or indirect traffic either).

FusePoint Technologies (especially rude to me when I told them I wasn't interested)
    Pathway Communications

The next three I didn't answer, but they were all nice enough to leave long-winded messages on my machine:

Interland (who happened to notice that I cancelled an account with them recently--as in eight months ago--and wanted to know if I'd experienced any problems with the service in the past 1-2 months. Morons. Complete and utter morons.)

C.I. Host (doesn't Christopher Faulkner have to appear in court as the plaintiff in a lawsuit somewhere?)

Zana Web Hosting (who doesn't have a website or server that's fully active right now that I can check out, but if I call them, they'll set me up with hosting for reasonable amounts on their server. Hmmm...let's see. Hosting on an inactive server by a company who doesn't have their website on a server either. Let me just get my three credit cards, take out a $50,000 line of credit at my bank, and refinance my car.)
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Aren't telemarketers fun?

I'd make some suggestions... but I have this inner conflict. On one side we have the pissed off client getting called... and on the other hand we have the starving college student getting yelled at approxomately 15 times an hour by people that are pissed they're calling...

So, I guess just deal with it and don't fall into scams
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    These aren't the starving college students though. These are usually people who wouldn't know their hosting rear end from the proverbial hole in the ground.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    The people who are actually placing the calls aren't the "masterminds" behind the devious plot to host you.

I find that for me, being angry or hostile with telemarketers doesn't do ME any good. So here is my strategy:
    1. I listen to their solicitation for 30 seconds and wait for a pause, then I politely tell them "No thank you," wait for them to say "Oh, but you will be missing out on..." and politely tell them "No, thank you, I'm not interested" again, and they get the message most of the time.
    2. In the case that there is no pause and they ramble on for 5 minutes, I don't say a word... their time spent is their loss, not mine. I let them BS me for as long as they want, and then proceed to step 1.
    3. When a current service provider calls to try to solicit new business from me (these are the worst of the bunch), I let them finish, and then proceed to step 1. When they don the attitude (part of their script, I imagine) that I am endebted to them because they're already my mortgage company or credit card company or whatever.... that's when I let them know that they're overstepping the boundaries of ethical business conduct and "do you want to be responsible for losing me as a customer for your employer?" and "oh yeah, what's your badge number again?"

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    My method is to try to sell back the service that is being offered.

Them: "Are you interested in purchasing double glazing for your home?"

Me: "Funny you should ask, I was just about to call you with exactly the same question - I'm from {FICTICIOUS_COMPANY_NAME} and we have a new offer on our line of {FICTICIOUS_IDENTICAL_PRODUCT}, are you interested?"

It works everytime and the caller enjoys the novel, and good humoured response, so everybody wins apart from the devious masterminds who don't get the sale.

Member #
    Im glad we dont have that problem over here in the UK, but ocassionally your bank or car insurance company will call, when i politely tell them to get off the phone and never to try and advertise anything to me again.

Oh yeah that reminds me of some mobile company who tried to offer me a better deal on my mobile and when I told them I wasn't interested they told me about some other deal... I hung up!
    regards,
    robc

Member #
    Firstly donít hate me because I am a web host. I have never cold called!

Secondly when people cold call me I tell them that I work for (Fictitious Telecomís Fraud Squad) and advise them of the irony that they found me. I of course then ask for bag numbers and the like.

LOLOLOLOLOL

Have fun,

Stuart Baggs
    T-Hosting.biz

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    heh

I don't hate the hosts that don't cold-call. Just the ones that do. I've actually employed transio's strategy in the past, but what I've found is the same people have called back again and again. My guess is because I stayed on as long as I did, and whatever autodialer they have measured the call and thought I was interested. Sure, they're losing money at their end but on the other hand, I'm being annoyed.

Ah well...I think I'll come up with the solution for this one when I redesign my website. I'll keep you guys posted. I think you'll like this.

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Sounds interesting!

Apparently cold callers expect to get a sale by the 7th call to a specific person on average, so the more time you spend with them saying no the more likely they'll think that you'll give in on that lucky 7th call.

I suppose it is a thankless job and we shouldn't blame the caller but most of them seem to like the agressive sales strategy. Fortunately here in the UK we don't respond well to an agressive sales pitch of any type so it's usually the less reputable companies that do it.

Banned
    Member #
    much like i hate the people who reply to spam, i also hate the people who cant say no to a salesman and end up buying something they never wanted, thus encouraging him to call the next number on his list..me :devious:

Remove Ads