Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I purchased my domain on january 20th 2003.
    So its supposed to expire on january 20th 2004.
    Which is in about 2 months.

This week my hosting company started hassling me to renew my domain. But my renewal is set to auto-renew.

So I emailed them asking them what thats all about. All they told me was that it would be best that i renew it NOW, just to be on the safe side.

I asked them if that means that the next time my domain expires will be in november 2004 instead of january 2005.

they said yes.

So now i have a question for those of you who have a few years of experience with domain hosting.

IS that a scam? are they just trying to make me pay them more money? I paid for 12 months not 10.

From your experience, if you renew domains manually, when do you renew them, a few dyas before expiry date or a few months? Is there any reason that im unaware of why i should renew it months in advance??

Member #
    no i dont think it is a scam -- I renew my domains 30-60 days in advance before they expire .. they are looking out for you for which if you dont renew in time your website will not be working once the registra disable the nameserver info ... go ahead and renew now.. hey this is december so you only doing it 30 days in advance ..

good luck
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Sounds like the person you're dealing with is either trying to scam you or doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

I have had some of my domain names for over 5 years. All of my domains registered with GoDaddy. Formerly, I was with Network Solutions (now VeriSign).

I have NEVER renewed my domains. They will always auto-renew unless you check the box that says "Don't auto-renew domain" when you purchase them.

If you DO renew it yourself, it's illegal for them to expire the name a year from the date you renew. They HAVE TO BY LAW expire it a year from expiration. This is true even if you renew it with a different registrar.

The reason is because they're selling you a year of registration. You already have your registration up until Jan. 2003. They cannot sell you registration during a period for which you already own it. Check with ICANN for the complete rules.

Member #
    Hmm yeah i thuoght so.
    I read their FAQs again, and it says that the domain will auto-renew about 20 days before its expiration date. And if id doesnt, you can check it and renew it manually about 2 weeks before it expires.

So thats what im gonna do.

Im not paying them for December and January TWICE.

Now when I think about it, i got the same email about 2 months ago as well. Only I ignored it back then. I bet if i asked them about it 2 months ago they would have advised me to renew it 4 months in advance or something. haha
    bastards.

Member #
    This all depends on whose accoun the domain is purchased through.

If your host bought the domain on your behalf, then you will have to pay to renew the domain - likely through your host again.

If you paid for it yourself through your own domain-name registration account (such as an enom reseller account) then you can set it to auto-renew.

Domain names erquire renewing before expiration - but you extend the domain ownership a year frm the expiration date, not a year from the re-registration date.

Member #
    I get 90, 60, 30 and 5 day notices from one registrar I use so don't be alarmed. I also have used registrars that never warned me and have lost the domains. In total I think I have domains spread between 5 or 6 registrars and staying organized is priority.

Who are you using as a registrar?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Just so you're aware, Tinah, when you renew your domain name, it is renewed for a period of (X) years from the date of expiry, not the date at which you renewed it. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either a scammer or the kind of guy who should be working behind the counter of a McDonald's asking if you'd like fries with your super-size fries (yes, I know what I said.)

Your best bet is to do what transio alluded to...move any domains over to GoDaddy (www.godaddy.com). When you transfer a domain to them, they add on a year as well, so you don't have to worry about that. They also have an auto-renew feature so that you don't even have to think about it. They're a great company to deal with (on the rare occasions I've had to) and I've never had a problem with them.

My only issue (and considering the price and that I have 4.9 cents CDN/minute long distance, it's a minor one) is that they don't have a toll-free number. In the case of transfers, when things do occasionally get held up, it becomes a bit of a problem. But spending a dime to get an answer on a question in two minutes as opposed to waiting 24 hours for an email that may or may not arrive is a trade I'll make every time.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads