Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: DNS Hosting

Member #
    Hi there.

I tried to do a search for this but the engine would not accept DNS as a search term.

I am in the process of changing ISP's and I need to find a company that will merely host my DNS info. I don't need any server space or email or anything like that, just the DNS records.

Is there such a place?

I have three domain names and two MX records I need hosted*.

Thanks,
    Chris.

* Not sure if "hosted" is the right term, but hopefully you understand what I mean.

Member #
    Your registrar should do this. In the control panel for your domain, you should be able to point your domain to your new server. What registrar is your domain registered with?

Member #
    i believe you are referring to the the name servers and not the DNS info itself? and netsol is the company.

but regardless I need to also have a caching server for my email and I doubt netsol would do that?

Member #
    What kind of hosting do you have? Your host should provide you with name servers and email services. If you're hosting this off of your home machine, you can run a DNS server off of your machine too.

I'm not positive what you're asking for, but it sounds like you're asking for some of the services that hosts provide.

Member #
    I have two websites I host in house (not at my home mind you, but at work). I also have two email servers I host in house (one is linux and does spam filtering, the other is Exchange which distributes the email).

I have three domains (two of the domains point to the same site) that need pointing, as well as the two email servers. I ALSO need a caching email server that will cache our email incase ours go down (to prevent circumvention of our spam filter the secondary server [exchange] only accepts connections from the linux server).

So technically we don't have a host as you refer to it. We are moving to a new ISP (Verizon) and they are being quite retarded about this so I'd like to get them out of the picture if possible. Our current ISP (Earthlink) is very smart and knows what they are doing. It's too bad we have to move (it's a money thing).

Member #
    your need a host to offer you a dns zone file for your domain which is possible with any host that would like to do that for you .. your talking more of like ;

domain.com A 198.58.48.xxxx
    mail.domain.com mx 10 198.93.34.xxxx

most registra will just redirect your domain to a ip but will not house your email or anything like that
    and they will not have a dns zone file for you

I know exactly what your looking for ..

ask for a dns file zone ----
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Remove Ads