Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I started a board with my friend about nightclubs. We're got in with a few big clubs and are hopefully going places with advertising etc! My worry is that our 3GB bandwidth with our host package wont be enough and we'll get charged for going over!
    Reading the sticky post above about there being no such thing as unlimited bandwidth whats the best thing I can do? The most I can upgrade my package to is 10GB

Any advise regarding this would be brilliant!

Member #
    I'd choose a host that offers multiple packages, especially packages with more than 10GB. You'll probably be fine with your 3GB package for a while, but when your board starts getting really busy, it's important that you're allowed to upgrade your hosting plan.

If you've paid for a year of hosting, I would guess that 10GB will still be enough a year from now. If you're coming close to 10GB though, you may want to look for host that has larger plans, and allows easy upgrading of your plan when you need it.

Member #
    Thanks for the advise, how busy do think my board would have to be to upgrade to 10GB?

Member #
    Depends what forum software you are using.

Member #
    It will probably be a while before you use 10GB a month. I would guess at least a year, unless your board somehow has thousands of people flock to it in the first few months.

Member #
    using phpbb for the forum side of the site

Member #
    Aye, good man, I've seen the future, and it is phpBB.

10GB is a whole lot of data transfer (not bandwidth people!) for a moderate sized forum. You'll need a few hundred REGULARLY posting members before you start to see sizeable chunks of that being eaten up. Just watch your statistics carefully, monitor the data transfer being used, and make sure you upgrade the month you hit 9GB.

In a rough estimate though, you are looking at about 50,000 posts a month (using the amount of posts and and database size of my phpBB forum.) Hope that made sense, but in short, you should be fine for at least a year unless your forum somehow attracts a lot of attention.

Member #
    3gb is alot of bandwidth believe or not --you can get about 20,000 hits a month and not even touch 500mb of bandwidth --unless your serving big files for download .. you should be ok for awhile
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    Originally posted by gazpeters
    I started a board with my friend about nightclubs. We're got in with a few big clubs and are hopefully going places with advertising etc! My worry is that our 3GB bandwidth with our host package wont be enough and we'll get charged for going over!
    Reading the sticky post above about there being no such thing as unlimited bandwidth whats the best thing I can do? The most I can upgrade my package to is 10GB

Any advise regarding this would be brilliant!
    I go out and spend a lot of times at night clubs here in Toronto, Canada and I have met a few night club owners, and we host a good bunch of Night Club Scene web sites. You can go ahead and ask these guys how they optimize bandwidth, etc...

www.dj-ruckus.com
    www.spliceentertainment.com
    www.klubkulture411.com

Tell them I refered you to them.

Remove Ads