Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: Whats the best OS for a homebrew webserver?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red Hat

8 66.67%
  • Mandrake

0 0%
  • Knoppix

0 0%
  • SuSE

1 8.33%
  • Other... (Tell Below)

3 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I'm thinking about setting up my own host, and i want some feedback on which OS to use. I'm limited to linux and other free ones, because i really dont wanna throw down the cash for a server version of windows.

Anyway, whats the best OS to make a server with, and why is it so good?
    If its not in Family Guy its not worth it.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Considering they're all Linux, it'll come down to the flavor-specific tools. I believe RedHat comes with Webmin (don't know if it's flavor-specific, just know that a RH server I have access to has it installed) and that's a pretty nice tool for mySQL.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    RedHat tends to be a standard distribution for many web servers, so you might want to use that.

Just be sure that you have a lot of experience with it, especially (I can't stress this enough) in an aspect of security.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    see thats my problem, the only linuxing ive done insofar is some toying around with it. Im in the dark about security and any other power user crap when it comes to working with tux. I only want to set up a server on an aging laptop so i dont have to pay so much to get my files ( i do a lot of file sharing with my brother at college), and learn a bit more about web hosting in general.

Member #
    Setting up linux for the first time on an old laptop will probably be a lot more trouble than it's worth. Drivers are harder to find and install on linux than windows, and a laptop is not built to be a server. If you even get the server up and running, chances are it will be pretty slow. You'd be better off installing Linux on a partition of your hard drive in your main machine, and learning how to use linux that way.

Member #
    *homebrew* webserver? Now I want a beer!
    http://www.pearlsgirl.com

Member #
    i know it would be a little sketchy, i dont want to sell hosting to anyone, i just want to be able to say i did it, and i don't want to pay for hosting anymore. But do you think its possible to get it running?

Member #
    It can be done, people do it all the time. It's gonna be tough though, because you have to take most of your Windows knowledge and throw it out the window. The fact that you want to use an old laptop could be difficult, because there may not be linux drivers for every piece of hardware in there (or you may not know the manufacturer of every piece of hardware). You have nothing to lose though, so give it a go. Post here if you have specific questions too, we can try to help.

Member #
    ok cool, thanks

Member #
    Well i got linux installed and running. I'm using RH, and it turns out it doesn't come with apache. I finally got that installed, so now if i got to http://localhost/ i get my index page.

Here's my problem (well 2 of them):

1. I can't get apache to let other people see it. If i use another computer on my network, and go to the laptops ip, i get an error that says, "can't find server, or dns error". I'm pretty sure the server is running as i can get it from the laptop itself, could it be that RH has a firewall thats in the way?

2. Where am i supposed to get PHP from? PHP.net tells me they dont make binaries for UNIX, because lots of the flavors for it come with PHP. RH didn't have apache or PHP, so how am i supposed to install it?

Any help is good help, so please post.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads