Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    hi all. what is a pop3 email box? is it web-based?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Yes, POP3 is a web-based protocol for receiving email.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    pop3 is not web-based. Its been around longer then the web since the 80's. You can access a pop3 account from the web but pop3 is a protocol that allows you to retrive email. It would exist even if the web didn't.

Im sure that is what you mean, just wanted to clarify.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    glyakk,

In this case, "web-based" doesn't not imply that it's part of the WWW, but of the Internet.

Because POP predates the WWW doesn't mean it's not "web-based". Because it can be used off the Internet doesn't mean it's not web-based, either. It's web-based in that it's a protocol can sit upon TCP/IP, which has been around (in some form) since the 60's.

The transverse would be a protocol like Microsoft's Exchange protocol, which cannot be used through the Internet, because it requires a microsoft network to work.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    To be 'web-based' means it's part of the HTTP protocol, or needing it to function.

However, the question asked was if a POP3 email box was web based. That implies since it is viewable on a website could it be part of the http protocol. That of course is assuming the email box in question is being viwed on a web page. Knowing Wanarky is contemplating creating his own webmail system from another one of his posts, he could be doing reasearch.

So I don't think the qestion was being asked if it was TCP/IP(internet) based, but if it was more specifically HTTP(web) based. When in fact its just another protocol like HTTP that relys on TCP/IP.

I am not arguing your points, they are valid. I am just giving my line of thinking.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by transio
    glyakk,

In this case, "web-based" doesn't not imply that it's part of the WWW, but of the Internet.

Because POP predates the WWW doesn't mean it's not "web-based". Because it can be used off the Internet doesn't mean it's not web-based, either. It's web-based in that it's a protocol can sit upon TCP/IP, which has been around (in some form) since the 60's.

The transverse would be a protocol like Microsoft's Exchange protocol, which cannot be used through the Internet, because it requires a microsoft network to work.
    Exchange can be routed through the Internet. At my old workplace, we had an Exchange server in California and workstations in Maryland (and the lag was horrible and every time the server went down, every client locked up ).
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    POP = Post Office Protocol
    It's the protocol used when getting emails.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    The vast majority of e-mail servers are POP3/SMTP-based. POP3 is responsible for receiving and storing the e-mail. SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) is the horrendously insecure and vulnerable means of sending mail. Some servers use IMAP (don't recall the abbreviation) which always saves mail on the server in a hierarchy, allowing for excellent synchronization across clients, including message read states. I prefer it far more than POP3, given I work on three or more computers.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    IMAP = Internet Message Access Protocol

I'm a huge fan of IMAP too. I use IMAP w/ Outlook on my main machine, but I still have web-based access to all of my emails from any computer via the web.

Member #
    thanks for your reply everyone. I am looking around for hosts and some of them offer pop3 email boxes with their hosting options. Just wasnt sure what it was! cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads