Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi,

I'm starting to think I must be looking for the impossible. I just fired my host of about a month, they're so screwed up it would be hysterical, if I wasn't waiting for confirmation to get a year's worth of money back ! yeah, I'm convinced they'll screw that up too

I'm willing to pay $20, even up to $25 *ouch* even though I'm on a very tight budget, because everything I've had recommended is outrageous, like starting at $50. I need a lot of space, you can see the site I've done here : My Site Here's the tricky part; I have to set up a database and get shopping cart functionality for this site (talk about doing everything backward and hogtying yourself in a corner :ermm: yeah I may be around a lot... ) I do everything in Dreamweaver and DMX, and really can't code, so I'm hoping to do the cart with DMX extensions. I tried one that uses MySQL, and that was too ridiculous to learn from the level I'm at now, when I need the site running, but I'm trying a new one that uses ASP or ColdFusion, and getting a lot of bugs. In other words, it would be nice if a host had, well, all these features, since I'm not sure where I'll land, at least as many as possible.

Now that I'm looking again, I found one with chili!soft ASP, no idea if that's the right thing, and one on Windows, I'm not sure if that would affect this cart - both are waaay out of my budget anyway. Most of all, now I just don't trust hosts without a recommendation!

Thanks in advance, Leila

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Before anybody replies, note where this thread is and you can't use it to advertise your services.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Banned
    Member #
    500mb/15GB Transfer Hosting!!!

Thank you for completely ignoring filburt's post. Both of your posts have have been removed.

All the advertisements go into Advertisement forum, with proper approval from filburt.

- nsr81

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Consider yourself banned for first posting in the ad forum without reading the clearly important thread, and second for spamming.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    LOL, when team members collide

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Wow. Mods kicking a$$ and taking names. Good thing mine's fat and has so much extra padding!

Seriously, Leila, I'd make two recommendations to you. On the hosting, go with the people I go with: http://www.sectorlink.com . They've got a few different plans to fit into your budget and they are very stable and reliable.

My second recommendation is to spend the time (even if it takes you a year or two) to learn a programming language. You have a very unique product from an online standpoint and it would be very beneficial to you to learn a programming language to incorporate things like product searches, tracking products to see which ones are ordered more, etc. Even if you only spend an hour or two a day doing it, you'd be surprised at how easy a lot of the programming languages (especially ASP/VBscript) are to pick up.

By the way, where are the dream catchers? Ya gotta have the dream catchers!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks, and multi-thanks to Filbert!

Sectorlink looks perfect, but my (old) host is in such a meltdown I'll wait to sign up until I make sure my cancellation wasn't faxed into outer space, wouldn't be surprised if I have to chase em down. It's such a major relief to find someone.

I've come to the conclusion you're probably right, about the programming, but what a ride! I think I'd lose all the advantage with an insta-store (and hate it) but was supposed to be selling a couple months ago!

There's lots of dreamcatchers! Some don't look like the popular idea of dreamcatchers, but some do - these are all one of a kind works. I have most of the inventory being drop shipped, with excellent deals with individual artists and sole proprietors - no way I could afford what the store looks like.

I just found out I'd have to hard code to get this extension to work with the product options, but keep hearing nothing at all from tech support about what's needed. Easy you say? Hmmm... maybe I'm trying to start in the wrong places (usually the middle) LOL.

Leila

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Well let us know how things go

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yeah, keep us posted.

You're not likely to find that kind of support from a web host though (unless you get an insta-store-style product as part of a hosting package, and they almost never work).

As far as your old host is concerned, the best thing you can do is to create a new page or set of pages, transfer the pages to your new host, update your DNS servers (if you don't know how to do this, most hosts can and will help you with it, as will register.com.) When you do this and the site appears on the new host (i.e. when you see the new page at www.sodasi.com), cancel your old host and if you're being billed by credit card, inform the credit card company of the cancellation so that they know not to accept further billing at that point. If you do things in this order, you avoid any downtime for your site (well...as much as possible).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I, uh *gulp* paid for a year... supposedly the refund should be fine, I faxed all the stuff a couple days ago, but the bill has been paid, a little over $200. One of the things that I thought was reassuring though, is they've been there for a couple years, so they can be found somehow, and I started asking for cancellation well within 30 days (that was definitely emailing into space, it was almost a fluke I found the right procedure).

The tech support is on the cart/DMX extension, and I've only had it about a week - the only other question I'd asked them turned out to be a known win98 bug, so they sent a patch. Now it looks like the coding for product options may be a lot tougher than learning to use MySQL, so I may want Intellicart instead. Still remember looking everywhere, typed in MySQL for dummies and couldn't understand anything, but if I get hosting where it's already installed, and use "MySQL Front" (some free software that's really easy to use) then I just need to figure out what the fields and options mean. For me, that's totally baffling, but it might be more reachable for now.

Okay, totally dumb question - how do people learn programming self-taught? Is it something you really should buy books for, get practice tutorials, hey I just realized I'm not even sure where the beginning is... I'm definitely not whoever is going to get it jumping in where I need the coding now!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads