Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Obviously I posted this in another forum:

I have recently entered the real estate buis. in Lake Norman, NC and the company I am with has a web wizard I used (I have no clue about this stuff) to design my simple little web site. Since I am in real estate I am basically unemployed and trying to change that so I will have the money to pay one of you designers for an awsome site.

Now to the point. I have designed and need a Host who do you all recommend?

BTW - I printed the topic on SEO and I am still

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Sounds like you need a good starter host that's reliable, and is good and easy to upgrade. Personally, I'd reccomend www.dinsol.com I'd get one of their smallest packages since you wont be getting much traffic for a while from what I'm guessing.

Again, this is a personal reccomendation, I've had nothing but good experiences with them, and they offer what (I think) you need.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Thanks, I will look into them.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    www.sectorlink.com is very stable and reliable as well, and does have some starter plans that are priced under $10. They're who my dedicated server is with, and I've had nothing but good things to say about them over the two years I've been with them.

Stupid question: Is Lake Norman, North Carolina that much of a hotbed for real estate? I'm not really up on my US geography but it doesn't seem like the kind of place that's a burgeoning metropolis to me. (This question isn't all bad either; it gives you a chance to practice your real estate skills! )
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks for the input, I will look into them as well. Lake Norman is growing extremely fast. We are 30 minutes North of Charlotte, I am not into Nascar but alot of people are and it brings more people in. I on the other hand am a boater. Originally from Northern Virginia and boating on the Potomac River which is connected to the Chesapeake Bay to the Atlantic I was concerned with being land locked. Not the case at all, the lake is 500 + miles and 34,000 + acres with alot of resturants, bars etc. Check out www.lakenormannc.com or the company I work for until I get my site up www.c21hecht.com

Thanks,

Audra

Member #
    Which is better, Linxus or Windows Server?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That would really depend on the nature of your site and what you plan on accomplishing with it. If it's just a regular site with regular HTML pages (kind of a My First Website) than Linux will suffice; however, if you use things such as MS-Access or SQL Server databases or specific Windows-server-related components, you need an NT server.

Personally, I prefer NT because it's supported by a development team as opposed to Linux which is a free, volunteer-supported OS, but to each their own.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    A-lookin' a-pretty-nice, a-lookin' a-pretty-nice. How close are you guys to Ericsson Stadium? (Outside of America's Most Wanted Team, the Cowboys, I'd have to say I like Carolina the best. Defense RULES!)

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Linux will do more then suffice. For an OS that is 'volenteer supported' Linux is doing pretty darn good, just ask companies like Red Hat and SuSe. Personally I hate everything to do with MicroSoft because Bill Gates is the devil and is just trying to enslave the world with his poorly written, unsecure, overly bloated, junk software.. Actually I dont have a beef with Microsoft or Bill. Its a good company for the most part. However Linux as has been able to fulfil everything Ive thrown at it just as well or better then anything NT based, and for free. If there was some benifit for going with Microsoft and paying for what I already get for free I would probably use it. Personally I think the whole "Microsoft will stand behind me if i get in trouble" line of thinking is nothing more then a false sense of security. In everything that you get from MS they clearly state in the licence agreement, that nobody ever reads, that you are basicly on your own if you have problems, and they are not responsiable for any of them.

Ive tried to get support for an NT server when I was on the IS department at my collage(we ran NT, macOS, linux, and Netware servers, honestly a complete mess). And although they usually are nice people to talk to, the NT support we recieved was usually the worst. We were migrating from an NT based network to Netware so there might have been some friction. However the support I got from the opensouce development community(Much of Novell's software is based on open source projects) was very good. Im not talking from Novell, im talking from the community, and that is what Linux and other open source projects have that NT does not have, a readily avaliable development community.

So where does that leave us? What should you use, Linux or NT? Since you are only looking for a host and not setting up your own server, to be honest it really does not matter because you wont be actually be using the OS anyway, and they both will do the job more then adiquitly. So base it on price. Linux hosting will usually be cheaper.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    FYI.. Red Hat Enterprise (what most servers run) is not volunteer supported nor free. It's a commercial OS with a development team & support.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads