Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am working on a large site, and can probably manage to convince them to host their own page (Don't ask why, I have found that it would be more economical to them), but am not quite sure what I need to do.
    I know that a server is a somewhat specialized machine, since I have seen a good deal of them in my life, and I know that a series of free programs (Red Hat Linux, PHP, Apache, MySQL) can give it everything it needs to efficiantly host a page, but other than that, I have no clue of the process. Could someone fill me in?
    Whoth steps forth to mock the teal? Whom couldst say a color superior!

Proclamith me, it cannot be done.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    teal: listen to The GAME, for he is wise in the ways. The best thing that you can do is not to host it yourself. It might work in the short run, but if your design company grows, then all of those clients on your server, running off a DSL/cable/whatever connection you have will end up bottlenecking each other for resource. And guess what? You got yourself one hell of an issue.

Not only that, people often choose to host sites on a computer in their basement/computer room/living room/bathroom/outhouse/wherever they put it without proper hosting facilities. These are the same people who think they can make a quick buck on something that's real easy. Then one of two things quite often happens:
    1. The host gets some customers, but not what (s)he expected to get in volume. {S)he pockets an extra $100 in the first month, but was expecting $1000. Server goes lights-out without prior warning. Customers on the server...up the creek, no paddle.
    2. The host gets the volume (or more) that (s)he expects, but apparently one of the customers was a real pain in the *** and had the nerve to demand a refund just because the server was down 25% of the time. How dare that customer? He just ruined it for everyone. Server goes lights-out without prior warning. Customers on the server...up the creek, no paddle.

I've actually found that this behaviour hurts the design industry almost as much as the hosting industry. Because hosting is complementary to design, I've found quite a few people out there that don't update their website in a dog's age because it took them four tries to find a reliable host because the ones the designer recommended are both out of business along with the designer.

The solution? Don't host yourself. Get a proper reseller account with a host that has proper hosting facilities, resell it to your customers, and you can both make money. And if anything goes wrong, you don't have to waste time trying to fix it. "Hey, What's Your Name Host! The FTP for Y client isn't working." Done.

That actually happened to me last night; a client of mine couldn't access webmail, so he called me at 12:30 at night. I was stupid enough to answer the phone, so it's my fault. But did I have to stay up all night fixing it? Nope. I spent two minutes filling out a trouble ticket, went to bed, and the problem was fixed when I woke up. Considering I had to go to a client's office and do 4.5 hours of emergency work, followed by three client meetings...yeah, it was worth it.

Reseller account. Get one. Don't bother doing it yourself. It just hurts everyone.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Appriciated. I never thought about that . . . Ok then.
    Whoth steps forth to mock the teal? Whom couldst say a color superior!

Proclamith me, it cannot be done.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    'Sokay man. Most people don't. That's why there are so many crappy one-month *cough*Keyhosters*cough*anythingassociatedwithChri sMcCoy*cough* hosting companies out there.

No harm though; I figure if me telling you what I told you means that you set up proper hosting and your clients end up not suffering, that's worth it to me.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    The most amusing is when they only offer their clients sub-domains.

They dont even have a domain themselves and use something like: hostingcompany.no-ip.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yep, everyone should take a lesson from theGAME, he is wise beyond his years... wait, no he's not, but I suppose he's got enough years to make up for it

Seriously though, most home-made servers end up using more in electricity thant it would have cost to host elsewhere, nevermind all the work, upgrades and constant maintenence.

The only time you should really consider your own hosting machine is if you're running specialized applications that require custom software or something that isn't widely supported (JSP comes to mind). In that case, it usually is useful to host yourself, but few people get that far.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Even then, a dedicated box is still cheaper by the time you factor in a half-decent connection, bandwidth, electricity, backups, etc. and so on. I've actually thought of going so far as to colo a server here in the GTA and the overall cost was actually still more.

And yes, I am wise beyond my years. I'm a 60-year-old senile bastard in a 27-year-old's body.

Remove Ads