Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Is there anyway to purchase an abandoned Domain name??

I want a particular domain name and the company that owns it is out of business. Is there anyway to secure this name???

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Not unless you have the company transfer the name over to you now, no. You'll have to wait until it becomes free to get it.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You can backorder it through a service like GoDaddy offers (I'd link directly to the "Backorders" page, but I can't figure out how to do that without it including my user ID). Basically, you pay GoDaddy $18.95 for a year (I think it's a year) to monitor whatever domain you want and when it becomes free, they register it for you. If it doesn't work, then they will transfer the $18.95 to another domain name that may become free.

I did this last year for a client and grabbed a domain name they were dying to have (and subsequently never used!)

Mind you, as Wired said, there's nothing you can do about the situation until the domain name becomes free.

The only other idea I have probably won't work, but it may be worth a shot. If you know the people who own the domain name, get them to email their registrar and indicate that they're no longer in business (or fax them on official company letterhead). Get them to say that they don't want a refund (since they can't get one anyway) but they'd like to relinquish ownership of the domain effective immediately. If it works, it would take between 24-48 hours for the domain release to take full effect, but once that happened you could grab it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I am going to try the registrar first and see if they will release the doamin. If it does not work I will use the back order

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Keep in mind, they WILL NOT release it without express permission of the owner, as it is paid in advance up to a certain date.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads