Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    http://www.hostultra.com/freehosting.html

What's really scary is that this is a serious offer. And other than the fact that it would be completely impossible to fulfill and therefore is a complete pantload, it's a superb deal!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Sweet, you know I've only run into one host that offers unmetered hosting, and plainly describes the terms of it to hostees. Unlimited is a bad bad word.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yeah I know, that's why I bolded metered
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Unmetered I can somewhat understand, since you're still watching for resource usage in general. Unlimited is physically impossible just on the basis of relatively simple math, which I will now demonstrate for the hosting NewbieType (BSTM).

Unlimited = infinite, as we all know.
    Bandwidth = a finite amount, usually expressed in (bandwidth)/second.
    1 Month <= 31 days x 24 hours x 60 minutes x 60 seconds, or 2678400 seconds.
    (Bandwidth)/second (a finite number) x 2678400 = another finite number.
    Another finite number <> infinite.

Therefore, since unlimited = infinite, bandwidth cannot be unlimited. Now this is a rather informal theorem that someone should assign a proper proof to at some point, but my algebra is rusty so someone else will have to go clean this up. You get the idea though.

So NewbieTypes (BSTM), remember: unlimited bandwidth does not exist.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Unlimited is in the Subset of infinite numbers.
    Bandwidth is a ratio, and because of the division property, a ratio can approach infinity, but never achieve it.
    Therefore, it cannot be in the Subset of infinite numbers.
    Therefore, Bandwidth is in the Subset of finite numbers.

Time is in the Subset of finite numbers.

Bandwidth/second is a ratio, and because of the division property, a ratio can approach infinity, but never achieve it.
    Therefore, it cannot be in the Subset of infinite numbers.
    Therefore by association, Bandwidth/second is in the Subset of finite numbers.

According to the finite property, the finite number subset is not a subset of the infinite number subset.
    (In otherwords, a finite number does not equal (DNE) infinity).

Therefore by association, bandwidth (and bandwidth/second) DNE infinity.
    Therefore by association, bandwidth (and bandwidth/second) DNE Unlimited.
    Therefore by association, unlimited bandwidth DNE.

------------------------

I'm a little rusty at my discrete structures, but that should be close enough.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yeah, that'll do.

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Interesting point this one. While I agree that unlimited in its true sense as infinite is incorrect in this instance there comes a point when common sense kicks in. A lot of advertising falls into this catergory.

In the UK Pizza Hut are offering unlimited trips to the "ice cream factory" for one price as well as unlimited soft drinks. Is this incorrect? The ice cream is limited in the amount one can eat, or how much stock is available, the life of the machine, the life of the company, the existance of the human race or the universe.

In essence nothing in the universe, ever, is unlimited so one has to take the term in its context which in this case is - "not limited by our customer policy" or something similar. It's a bit much to expect everybody to put the exact finite limits of anything on any documentation.

"Unlimited Hosting*"

* Please note, hosting is limited by bandwidth, available electricity supplies, absence of attack from aliens and a return to the dark ages, number of seconds until the universe ceases to exist, catastrophic ion storms resulting in the destuction of all electrical system and the fact that we are running a Pentium Pro from our basement.

Yes, technically it's incorrect, but linguistically it's possibly acceptable that the company is asserting that they do not DIRECTLY limit the bandwidth.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mossoi
    The ice cream is limited in the amount one can eat, or how much stock is available, the life of the machine, the life of the company, the existance of the human race or the universe.

In essence nothing in the universe, ever, is unlimited so one has to take the term in its context which in this case is - "not limited by our customer policy" or something similar. It's a bit much to expect everybody to put the exact finite limits of anything on any documentation.
    True, but keep in mind that matter can neither be created nor destroyed. So in essence, ice cream is infinite. Now all we need is some ice cream wrestlers in bikinis, and we're all set!

**wired eyes Transio and Filburt and imagines them in bikinis wrestling in rocky road ice cream and shudders**
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mossoi
    "Unlimited Hosting*"

* Please note, hosting is limited by bandwidth, available electricity supplies, absence of attack from aliens and a return to the dark ages, number of seconds until the universe ceases to exist, catastrophic ion storms resulting in the destuction of all electrical system and the fact that we are running a Pentium Pro from our basement.

Yes, technically it's incorrect, but linguistically it's possibly acceptable that the company is asserting that they do not DIRECTLY limit the bandwidth.
    This is SO not true! It's usually a Cyrix or a 486. :laugh:

And if it's technically incorrect, then it's an unacceptable thing to say. They should say "we have no cap on our bandwidth; however, we do examine resource usage and reserve the right to terminate any site without refund..." etc. and so on. And if a host is going to do this, the host should also provide stats showing resource usage and things like that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads