Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey Gang!

My name is Chuck Fox and I'm new to this forum. I've got a situation that some of you may be interested or curious about and I also seek constructive thought regarding this matter. To that end, I've decided to visit a few of the more relevant forums to get this message out and seek comments and suggestions. Basically, throw this into the "court of public opinion."

First a little background on an odd and unfathomable "David vs. Goliath" story I find myself involved with.

On Saturday, March 1, 2003, as I was relocating all of my client and business websites to another hosting provider, I accidentally mis-typed my domain in a client email, omitting the ".com" suffix.

I usually check to make sure the links in my emails are correct by clicking on them, and was pleasantly surprised to find it direct to Google, with "thinkvision" as the search term.

My http://ThinkVision.com site was listed first, but what really surprised me was the other listing under mine that led to IBM's press release announcing their new product-line of flat-panel monitors.

These monitors went by the name of "ThinkVision."

http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/think/thinkvision.html

What I'm looking for are people such as one might find on this forum to visit my blog and --

A) Let me have it...
    B) Let me know what you think...
    C) Tell me where I can stick it...
    D) Give IBM some shtick!

If any of you have ever had any kind experience, similar or not, in the domain name game, I'd like to hear from you. If, after visiting, you've got an opinion of this situation, by all means let me know about it by commenting, or posting to the blog forum.

The home page of the blog explains this anomaly in more detail, so I'll leave it at that and hope to hear from you. Hopefully positive thoughts, though negative opinion is accepted also, cuz that's the nature of blogging.

The blog: http://tv.chuckfox.com/

In advance, thanks for the help. Rock On!

Best,
    Chuck Fox

"The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn."

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

tv@chuckfox.com
    http://tv.chuckfox.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm not sure how the law works in your particular neck of the woods, but I'd imagine it's pretty similar to the rules for registering a .ca (Canadian) domain name.

If you want to register a .ca domain name for business purposes, you need to establish a legitimate business reason to have it. For example, I have adamwebdesign.ca the domain name, and my company name is ADAM Web Design. Thus, I can legally own adamwebdesign.ca and no one can take it from me. However, I have no legitimate reason to register cocacola.ca, since I have no business ties to Coca-Cola.

My suggestion to you would be to do one of two things:
    1. Register ThinkVision, ThinkVision.com, or some derivative thereof as a business name, if you haven't done so already.
    2. Take the $10,000 from IBM if you don't want it. IBM goes through brand names usually about every 18 months to two years, so the window of opportunity for both you and them is pretty slim. Do you remember Ambra, for example? Don't worry if you don't; no one does. They're about 7 years old. But for about two years, they were hot-hot-scorchin'-hot. Then there was Inspirati (or Aspirati, or something like that, I forget). Then Aptiva. Now we're on ThinkCentre/ThinkVision. (Note: I may not have the names exactly in the right order, since I refuse to pay that much attention to a company like IBM with its head so far up its ***, but the general idea is there).

They also don't need the domain name anywhere near as badly as you might seem to think. They've already got one that they can use to promote themselves. You may have heard of it. It's called IBM.com .

Unless you're going to use the business name and thus the website legitimately for both the short and long term, take the $10,000 (or $15,000-$20,000 if you can get it), say "thank you very much", and be done with it. If you want any more than that, you're just getting greedy and you don't hold the cards.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Personally I would like you to get what you deserve. You do own the name and this is a ligitimate case it seems. However I must agree with adam when I say that I do not think IBM needs the name as much as you might think or else they would have made another offer by now. Also like he said this is only valuable to you and IBM and once they loose interest in the domain(and they will eventually) you will be lucky to break even on the domain to somebody else. I would take what you can and run with it.. Greed will only get you burned. You have to also take into account that IBM probably has gone on this 'marry-go-round' befor, in fact its probaly gone through something like this quite a few times, and knows how to handle the situation to their advantage, and might be willing to make sacrifices. Your only bet is that IBM will fold. But what if they dont?

NOTE: I use the term "greed" to refer not to an unmanagable desire to get soemthing you do not deserve. But to not be content with a resonable offer.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Also.. in your blog you refferd to the analogy of trying to offer General Moters an offer of only $10 dollars for a car that normally costs $50,000.00.

I dont belive that same idea applies here. General Motors puts alot of money into creating those cars, and although there is a profit margin placed on top of the car, they would loose alot of money by selling at such a rediculous price because they invested alot of money to build that car.(parts and labor)

You on the other hand did not invest that much money into the domain. If you spent 15 bucks on it and renewed it for two years(assuming i did the correct math) you have a total investment of 45 dollars. The 10,000.00 offer would yeld a 2,200% profit! Not bad if you ask me. So there is no way you could loose any money in this deal. It would be different if there was a set market price for things such as this, but there isnt. Its value is determined by the purchaser, not the seller. If i wanted to sell my old baseball card to a shop and the owner only offered me 5 bucks but I think its worth 50 there is no way I could 'make' him pay me that money. Its up to him how much he wants it. My only options then would be to either suck it up and sell it for 5bucks, or find another buyer willing to pay more. Unfortuanlly you dont have that advantage, you have only one buyer. Its a buyer's market.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Exactly. That's why I laugh when I see all these idiots trying to sell domain names for exorbitant sums. I can understand generic domains, but in the case of say Bobsdiscountweddingandbaitshop.com selling for five digits...who's going to want it?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I agree, but he did not cybersquat the name. He is using it. So in his case I do feel that he should properly compensated, and the offer they made seems pretty darn resonable to me. But I think its rediculous to assume that you will get instantly rich off of this. I would count my blessings now and be done with it, 10,000 times.

Also in your blog also note that you stated that YOU contacted THEM first. If they were so interested in your domain, I think they would have come to you with an offer befor they even launched the products. I know a company like IBM would not make such a major oversight.

If you are holding out for them to break, more power to you. But don't hold your breath.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's true, glyakk. I was just pointing out that people who sell domain names in general don't have a clue what they're doing and are convinced that names like the one I cited are worth millions when they're not.

buydomains.com is a prime example. They want $112,000 right now for scienze.com . What good is scienze.com when most people can spell that word correctly?

If you want to see other examples from buydomains.com, visit their site (which I'm not going to hyperlink to since it gives them a search engine boost) and click "Premium Domains". Leave the form elements as they are and submit the form. Some of them may be semi-reasonably priced, but others are just out to lunch.

Remove Ads