Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Home Hosting

Member #
    Sorry i haven't searched but i was wondering... companys charge for the size of the website and the bandwidth the website uses. Am i right in thinking that if you host from home you have no costs? Just paying yearly domain name fee.

Also what bandwidth ideally would you need for an active forum with say 40 members on line at a time?

I have a 512kbps connection.. would i need to upgrade to 1Mb or 2Mb to have a decent speed website?

Also the hardware specification. Would i need a high spec computer or just a computer with a decent amount of RAM?

Member #
    Depending on your ISP, you may not have a static IP address (which you will need) and also they may not permit 'always on' connections.

Try this: http://www.webdesignforums.net/showt...t=Hosting+home
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    If you're at all serious about putting your site on the web, you should buy professional hosting. After you go through the complicated task of setting up a webserver on your home PC, you need to leave your PC on 24/7/365. When something goes wrong or your PC needs a reboot, how quickly will you tend to it? How secure will your PC be now that it's serving webpages? Not to mention your 512k connection is not sufficient for a server (and 1-2mb isn't either). Instead of paying for your internet access upgrade (and probably computer upgrade, your sever shouldn't be using specs that were fast 5 years ago), just buy some professional hosting. There are some inexpensive hosts mentioned on this forum (run a search). One to check out is www.dinsol.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I can personally guarentee that you will spend more money by hosting a site at home as to hosting it at a hosting company.

I wont go into the details, but just trust me on this.

Go get a cheap hosting deal.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Remove Ads