Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I was thinking of trying my luck at reselling web hosting. Anyway, what would you all think of a host that didn't have any "pre-made" plans, but that had a JavaScript which took in the desired storage space, bandwidth allocation, and payment frequency and generated a custom price?

Just seeing if I'm the only one who would like this idea . . .

Member #
    It's not a bad idea, I think.
    But the realization of the script that calculates it isn't so simple, because I don't think you want to charge the same depending on how much the customer wants, for example:

You charge $5/month per GB of bandwidth when it's below 10GB, and if it exceeds 10GB of monthly bandwidth, then you charge $3/month.
    This can be done also with a exponential function (advanced mathematics), but limiting the minimun because maybe with this function the guys asks for 50000GB of bandwidth and pays 0.01 cent per each.

Also, don't use javascript for this, use server-side languages like PHP, or maybe even ASP or JSP.

Member #
    Oh, I already made the PHP script, and it's beautiful. I'm just seeing if it would be worth my time and money to launch/promote it.

Member #
    Not a bad idea, but whether people would bother looking at it is another question. Just out of interest can you post a link so we can try it out?
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Even if I didn't have my own box, I wouldn't use something like that. The problem with custom calculations is that they don't take packaging into account.

For example:

http://www.sectorlink.com/Value_Packages.php

They go from 4 GB to 6 GB bandwidth in their packages (among other features) for $3.00 more, but to buy bandwidth is $3.50 per GB.

So if they took the Value Bronze package and added 2 GB, it'd be $13.99. To get the Value Silver, it's only $9.99.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    That what TheGAME says can be solved by a very complex PHP script, that takes almost everything into account to calculate the total

Member #
    Yeah, everything works like that. The function that determines the price is pretty complex . . . it takes into account the cost to me, what I'd like to get as profit, my payment provider's take, etc. The price per GB decreases as more bandwidth is used. It even comes up with a monthly, quarterly, and yearly rate.

My concern is that it would be a little too weird for people to use . . .

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Dude...just use set packaging. It's a lot easier for you to program and other people to figure out.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I was going to say "use both", but it's not recommended, as it will create "dirty tricks" at your company by clients looking for the way it costs less for the same

Member #
    It could work, for no other reason besides the fact that it's unique, and not a lot of other people do it. If people think they're paying only for what they want (and not 200GB of bandwidth they'll never use), that may convince them to go with you.

An even better idea would be to offer the best of both worlds: offer this tool for people to create their own package, and offer 3-4 packages with varying specs. Punch in a few specs into your calculator and get the price, and then offer them as sample (but available) packages. If people don't like them, they can create their own package.

EDIT: If he offers packages with pricing based on his calculator, it's really just a list of a possible package combination. Make sure the price you offer your packages at matches the calculator's cost.

Remove Ads