Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How to Install Apache, PHP, and MySQL on Windows, step by step

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    DO NOT COPY THIS TUTORIAL.
    http://www.webdesignforums.net/images/clear.gif
    If you want to use it on your own site, then link to it. This is copyrighted intellectual property and plagarism will be prosecuted to the maximum extent of the law in the country in which you reside.

This thread is super-old so note that Apache, PHP, and MySQL installation and versions are quite different now.

Requirements: Windows NT, 2000, or XP (95, 98, and Me not supported)
    Time Needed: 15 minutes, no reboot required

This tutorial is based on installing 1.3.26, not the newer 2.x series. This is because at the time of writing 4.3.0 was only beta CVS code and 4.2.x did not run reliably on Apache 2.x. In addition, MySQL 3.2x is used instead of 4.0 because 4.0 is still in the beta CVS tree.

As a final note, if you actually want to use some PHP/MySQL-powered pages , you'd put them in Apache's htdocs folder. In my example, that would be D:\Programs\Apache\Apache\htdocs\ . Example: put PHPBB in a folder called "phpbb" within htdocs, and you'd access it by going to http://localhost/phpbb/ .

If you have any problems, please reply here. You can also reply if it worked just to make my time worthwhile

Part 1: Apache

1. Go to http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/ . Download the file that ends with no_src.msi and does not have 2.0 in the filename.
    2. Open the file you just downloaded, and click the Next button repeatedly until you see a window with textboxes labeled Network Domain, Server Name, and Administrator's E-mail Address.

3. Fill out the information as follows:
    Network Domain: If you have a domain name and you're hosting it on your computer, enter it here without the "www". If you don't, use a service such as http://www.dyndns.org/ and use their domain name. For example, I have filburt1.homeip.net; I'd enter homeip.net in this box.
    Server Name: the full name of your server. If you are hosting your domain on your computer, use www.yourdomain.com/.net/etc. If you are using DynDNS or a similar service, use your full subdomain; with the previous example, this would be http://filburt1.homeip.net/ .
    Administrator's e-mail address: This e-mail address shows up on some of Apache's error pages, but e-mails do not get automatically sent here. You can either enter your real e-mail address or a fake one.
    Select Run as a Service for all users, then click Next.
    4. Click Next until you see a window displaying where Apache will be installed. Select the path where you want to install Apache. Note that Apache will really be installed in a subfolder called "Apache" in the path you chose. In this screenshot where I chose D:\Programs\Apache\, it will really be installed to D:\Programs\Apache\Apache\.
    5. Click Next repeatedly until you see a window that says Installation Wizard Completed, then click Finish.

Part 2: PHP

1. Download the "Win32 zip package", not the installer, of PHP from http://www.php.net/downloads.php .
    2. Extract all the contents of the zip file to where you want to install PHP. I chose D:\Programs\PHP.
    3. Copy the file php4ts.dll from the directory you just put the files in to your Windows directory, usually C:\winnt in Windows NT and 2000 and c:\windows in Windows XP.
    4. Open Notepad, and open the file httpd.conf. This file is in the Apache\conf subfolder of where you installed Apache.
    5. Add these two lines to the very end of the file.
    Code:
    LoadModule php4_module d:/programs/php/sapi/php4apache.dll
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .phtml
    There are several important things to notice here. First, change d:/programs/php to the path where you installed PHP. Second, where you would use backslashes, use forward slashes instead. Finally, if you installed it in a directory with spaces in the name, surround the path with quotes. For example if you installed PHP in C:\Program Files\PHP, replace the first line above with this one:
    Code:
    LoadModule php4_module "c:/program files/php/sapi/php4apache.dll"
    6. Save the file and exit Notepad.
    7. Open up a command prompt by clicking Start > Run, typing "cmd" and pressing Enter. Type the following two commands, pressing Enter after each line:
    Code:
    net stop apache
    net start apache
    8. If everything has worked to this point, you should see the following: "Apache service was started successfully" or text along those lines.

If you don't see "The Apache service was started successfully" then you have made a typo in httpd.conf.

Part 3: MySQL

1. Download MySQL by going to http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql.html . Select the latest "standard" veresion of MySQL. Click the download link for something that looks like this:
    Installation files (zip)
    MySQL 3.23.49 Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP (12M)
    Pick a mirror to download from and download the file.
    2. Open the file you downloaded, and click Next through the whole thing. This will install MySQL to c:\mysql, which simplifies the process.
    3. Open up a command prompt again by clicking Start > Run, typing "cmd" and pressing Enter. Type the following, pressing Enter after each line:
    Code:
    c:
    cd \mysql\bin
    mysqld-max-nt --install
    net start mysql
    At this point if you see "The MySQL service was started successfully" then everything should be working! If you want to play with PHP, put all PHP files in your Apache directory's htdocs directory. If you want to connect to MySQL, use "root" as the username and nothing as the password (make sure nobody else can access your server if you want to use MySQL!).

If you are trying to install vBulletin, use "root" as $dbuser, "" as $dbpass, and "localhost" as $dbserver in config.php.
    Steve7 likes this.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    ok Filburt asked me to make a post in here to explain the problems I am having right now. I have went through Filburt's tutorial, and installed PHP, MySQL, and Apache. I have installed Apache in my c:\Program Files\Apache directory.

I am now attempting to run a test server for my own VBulletin forums, but I keep getting either page not displayed or it launches the actual install.php file in wordpad, which isnt supposed to happen. Currently my VB stuff is located in the apache folder at : C:\Program Files\Apache\htdocs\vb\admin\install.php

Filburt mentioned to me just a moment ago that he believes I dont have Apache configured correctly. That may be so, but I do know it did install correctly because i followed his tutorial clear through, and was successfully able to install PHP, MySql and Apache.

Can anyone help me get this problem squared away?

Thanks

Member #
    ok i think i figured out my problem, but im unsure of how to resolve it. I believe my problem lies with my Network Domain, Server Name field. I was a little unsure of Filburt's instructions because I dont host my site myself, I use a webhost. Do I put my webhosts information in here? What do I need to put there?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times

By definition you will become a host by installing Apache...

Member #
    ok so what would I put in those fields? do I need an IP, sorry for the cluelessness, but this stuff is currently over my head.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Check out http://www.dyndns.org/ , register a subdomain (for example I got filburt1.homeip.net) then use homeip.net as the domain and filburt1.homeip.net as the server (hint: don't use filburt1.homeip.net actually )

Member #
    ok thanks for the help man, im starting to get further along. I re-installed Apache, and things look to be better now. Here is my next question. Im not even remembering this page when I first installed VBulletin on my site. I ran the install.php, and I got a page asking me for :

Database server type:
    Database server hostname / IP address:
    Database username:
    Database password:
    Database name:
    Technical email:

then there is a "Update Config.php file" button below that, and a "Continue without adding values" button. No idea what I should be putting in these fields since I cant even remember seeing this the first time.

Any ideas?

Member #
    ok here is what I got when I clicked on the "Continue without updating values" button:
    Attempting to attach to database...

Warning: Failed opening './db_.php' for inclusion (include_path='.;c:\php4\pear') in c:\program files\apache\apache\htdocs\vb\admin\install.php on line 334

Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: db_sql_vb in c:\program files\apache\apache\htdocs\vb\admin\install.php on line 336

when I clicked on the "Update Config.php file" button without having anything in the database fields I got this:

Warning: unlink() failed (Permission denied) in c:\program files\apache\apache\htdocs\vb\admin\install.php on line 305

Warning: Failed opening './db_.php' for inclusion (include_path='.;c:\php4\pear') in c:\program files\apache\apache\htdocs\vb\admin\install.php on line 334

Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: db_sql_vb in c:\program files\apache\apache\htdocs\vb\admin\install.php on line 336

any suggestions?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    mysql
    hostname.domainname.suffix
    root
    [nothing]
    vbulletin
    your e-mail address

...respectively

Member #
    ok this is what I got when I did that. For the hostname part I put my new DNS thing you suggested. here is what the error said:

Warning: unlink() failed (Permission denied) in c:\program files\apache\apache\htdocs\vb\admin\install.php on line 305

Warning: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'roody.homeip.net' (10060) in c:\program files\apache\apache\htdocs\vb\admin\db_mysql.php on line 32

Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in c:\program files\apache\apache\htdocs\vb\admin\db_mysql.php on line 47

The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please go back to the last step and ensure that you have entered all your login details correctly.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Remove Ads