Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    First of all, go read TheGAME1264's Spam Blocker Tutorial to see why this kind of thing will work against spam. Now, I don't get a ton of spam on my newest email address yet, so I don't know how well it'll work, but I guess we'll find out. Oh, and by the by...this is my first tutorial ever, so if you like it, please let me know. Thanks.

:devious: Microsoft Outlook Spam Blocker Tutorial :devious:

Questions, comments: email me. Or post here. Please!

Katie

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Sweet. I got propz! Go propz!
    Step 10: Home stretch. Call it "Spam Blocker", or "Evil Bastard Blocker", or "I'm a Girl So I Have No Need to Enlarge My Non-Existant Penis Blocker", or whatever. Check "Turn on this rule." If you think you're overrun with spam right now, check "Run this rule now on messages already in "Personal Folders"." Then click "Finish". All done!
    "Evil Bastard Blocker." "Non-Existent Penis Blocker." You're so vicious and nasty...if I didn't know better, I'd think you were trying to flirt with me.

Seriously, this is very nicely done. Makes me wish I had Outlook just so I could go through all the steps myself.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Originally posted by TheGAME1264
    Sweet. I got propz! Go propz!
    Only to those who deserve them. :classic:

"Evil Bastard Blocker." "Non-Existent Penis Blocker." You're so vicious and nasty...if I didn't know better, I'd think you were trying to flirt with me.
    Who says I'm not trying to flirt with you? :cheeky:

Seriously, this is very nicely done. Makes me wish I had Outlook just so I could go through all the steps myself.
    So get it! And thank you for the compliments. Make other people check it out, too. I don't know how many people here use Windows and Outlook. *shrug*

Katie

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Originally posted by actualsize82
    Who says I'm not trying to flirt with you? :cheeky:
    Sweet! That's the most female attention I've gotten since that confused old lady thought I was her grandson and started pinching my cheeks!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Gracias... just implemented the rule, we'll see how it works out. By the end of next week I'll be able to tell you how efficient it is considering I get like a spam every 10min on my school account *grumbles about CE department making email address public* Oh well... Thank you
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well, after a few days of using this I notice that unfortunately, it's not very effective. Not nearly on the scale that Thunderbird's Adaptive Junk Email Filter (it learns what is junk mail and what is not from you deciding whether something is junk or not). Unforuantely thunderbird is not near production and has had serious problems with me (namely not delivering mail). So... I guess I await the day that outlook becomes better at junk email, until then I still have to get rid of a good 75% of my junk email from my school inbox.

Member #
    Sorry it didn't help. Man, what a way for my first tutorial to go.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hey, if it makes you feel better we can all blame TheGAME - you did a great job translating his ideas... it's all his fault! *points*

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yeah yeah yeah, everyone blame TheGAME. :P

I didn't say it'd remove 75% or anything like that; I said it would remove large percentages. On the tests I did with it, it got around 50%, which to me isn't all that bad for a very simple rule. If coupled with similar rules, one can easily get rid of 90-95% of the spam monster. And isn't that what we all want?

Member #
    Big salute to anyone who tries to combat spam, the biggest electronic pest of this decade. :ichatangry:

Not to diminish anybodys effort, but there is a great freeware spamfilter (for Outlook and Outlook express) that I've had installed for a few months now.

When I access my email directly from my ISP via a web interface, I can quickly scan through all new emails without lifting them from the mailserver. From this "unfiltered" view, I normally identify 40-50% of the incoming mails as annoying spam.

After quickly browsing through them, I download them via Outlook where I have Spamfigther installed.
    This filter has so far filtered out 100% of the spam! :ichatbiggrin:

Even the more insidious ones like "I'm working for the Treasury department of Nigeria..." || "I'm writing to you personally...."
    Whenever the spamfilter is in doubt (which is seldom), it sends an email to you explaining that the following most likely is spam (then a small extract of the original mail) with a link to click in case you're uncertain, and want to read the entire original message.

Read more about it here

This software has proven itself superior to any of my own attempts to filter out spam through Outlooks toolbox.:rambo:
    S. Rosland

Remove Ads