Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Advice re multiple sub-domains with similar homepage.

I am trying to achieve the following:

In summary:

My main site is bestflorest.com (this is an example site).
    I want to have town1.bestflorest.com, town2.bestflorest.com, town2.bestflorest.com as landing pages.

How can I best to do this? The options as I see it is to create subdomains, but how do I build the site to make it work?

Options as I see it (there may be better ones)

1, create complete sites for each subdomain and then link their home page to a landing page in the main site? What do you do with the home page on the main site, turn it off?
    Or

2. the subdomains be built as pages in the main site.

It seems that with No 1 option, this would be very memory intensive and a lot of work. With No 2, I am not sure if I can make the pages look like the home page on the main site.

I would appreciate any advice. I have already purchased a Wordpress template, however it is a single page template. I am thinking that the "single page" could really complicate things.

Thanks for your help.

Zatso

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That depends on why you're creating these landing pages. Are you creating them for an SEO-related reason or are you creating them for a marketing / conversion reason (e.g. Google Adwords)?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thank you for replying. I want to create them for both SEO reasons and Adwords.

For SEO in that we live in a regional area which is made up of large country towns, so I am hoping to achieve someone putting in their town and the product.

For Google Adwords, I would like to have the landing pages separate if Adwords will allow me to use the subdomains.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's not a bad idea for Adwords, as long as you come up with content specific to each of the towns and have some sort of a conversion activity you want people to perform.

For SEO...not so much. For one thing, each subdomain is considered its own site (so you're better off using subfolders). For another, you're more likely to convert people in large country towns (I'm assuming between 5,000 - 50,000 with a low population density, by the way) from an SEO perspective simply by listing them and then the services you provide as a whole, unless you have services specific to each town.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thank you for your reply. Do you know how I go about it with the subdomains and building the site?

Do I have to build a new site for each sub-domain or can I use a separate page for each subdomain within the main domain?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Each subdomain = its own site. You could in theory use a template and some server-side coding to serve the appropriate content based on the SERVER_NAME server variable, but that's probably too complex for what you're trying to do.

Remove Ads