Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: What Makes a Great Front-End Designer or Developer?

Member #

What Makes a Great Front-End Designer or Developer?

How do you measure the skill-set and experience of a true front-end designer or developer? Are they specific to the front-end? Or should they maintain and nurture the skills required to understand important back-end functionality as well. That’s what I’m here to discuss, so let’s get into it!
    Last edited by Ronald Roe; Jan 20th, 2016 at 07:55 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't consider a "front-end developer" to be a real term. I measure the skill set of a developer by one test...can the aspiring developer look at a situation that requires custom thinking and apply that thinking to it?

The real developers will be able to look at various situations and be able to say "you need to do X for this situation, Y for this situation, and Z for this situation" and not try to retrofit say a template or a framework or a one-size-fits-all solution to an application that doesn't fit it.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    ...not try to retrofit say a template or a framework or a one-size-fits-all solution to an application that doesn't fit it.
    I'm less a front-end dev these days than a dev in general, and it's partially because of this that I get where you're coming from here. Thing is, when I was working primarily on front-end, I did none of that crap.

In fact, most of my work was more like:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    The real developers will be able to look at various situations and be able to say "you need to do X for this situation, Y for this situation, and Z for this situation"...

on a daily basis. Front-end dev, isn't slapping Bootscrap in a link tag and adding classes to the buttons. Yes, the term has been bastardized by people who do those things so they can feel better about it, but in my day-to-day, I wrote mostly vanilla JS combined with creative use of CSS to create interesting, useful interactive elements that add more to the overall design aesthetic of the site. I was no less a developer, I just used different tools to solve different problems.

Also, subtle as it was, this was OP's attempt at a link drop, which has been summarily removed with much prejudice.
    Last edited by Ronald Roe; Jan 20th, 2016 at 07:58 AM.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There was a link drop? Damn, dude. I missed it completely for once.

We need lighter colours or underlines for the links.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Well I was going to comment but since this all seemed to be for a link drop theres no point now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove Ads