Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Sutengo
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By Krazyhawk
  • 1 Post By khenney
  • 2 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By aminul

Thread: Responsive Web Design

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Responsive Web Design

Hello guys

I have been working on several sites, and have always optimized them for smartphones and tablets. Now i have made it a bit different then maybe the majority - i dont use the "known" breakpoints, i make my own, and sometimes 3-4 more then usually the coders use, because i want to catch every possible size now and in future.

Now of course this needs little bit more time, so my Boss is questioning this, even though the result is a perfect responsive design.

What is your opinion about this? Use the known breakpoints, or also include your own to ensure that at every size, the website is perfectly adjusted? Are the 20% more costs worrt in your opinion?
    gkdhaka likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The breakpoints are going to depend on the site and its content. The "known" breakpoints are guidelines and, like most guidelines, are one-size-fits-a-few-but-not-really-all-so-use-them-only-if-they-fit-your-application.

I don't see how this would cost 20% more, but I'd say you're using the better approach if for no other reason than you're likely getting better conversion ratios as a result.
    Krazyhawk likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Try Boostraop

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    As TheGAME said, the standard breakpoints are just a guideline pretty much for any site. You never really know when your site is going to have a break point until you get to it. We all want our websites to look and feel great on every single device, but there are so many out there it is hard to do. It's fantastic that you are taking the extra time to do this, maybe you should try explaining to your boss what you are doing. However, writing a media query every 50 pixels probably isn't the best idea either. There is a point in web design, that I feel, where you have to just accept the fact that crazy **** is going to happen at some point or another.

As nstordavid also said, try a framework like Bootstrap. It may help you reduce your coding time. We use it for every project now and bundle it with SASS. Helps out a lot.
    satindertech likes this.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I think that, Responsive web design is becoming more important as the amount of mobile traffic now accounts for more than half of total internet traffic.[13] This trend is so prevalent that Google has begun to boost the ratings of sites that are mobile friendly if the search was made from a mobile device.[14] This has the net effect of penalizing sites that are not mobile friendly.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Coderman View Post
    I think that, Responsive web design is becoming more important as the amount of mobile traffic now accounts for more than half of total internet traffic.[13] This trend is so prevalent that Google has begun to boost the ratings of sites that are mobile friendly if the search was made from a mobile device.[14] This has the net effect of penalizing sites that are not mobile friendly.
    You've got 24 hours and one chance to explain why your "thought" precisely matches a Wikipedia entry, including footnote markers. This had better be good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    You've got 24 hours and one chance to explain why your "thought" precisely matches a Wikipedia entry, including footnote markers. This had better be good.
    It would be fun to read an explanation from Coderman, but he didn't defend himself when I suggested he was a bot yesterday, and I don't see where he's ever directly responded to anyone.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm guessing post count inflater. Human, but lacking anything resembling a soul or independent thought.

Either way, it needs to give us a satisfactory answer or I'm booting it.
    Vapr_Arts and khenney like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    To do your sites responsive for mobile, tab, small or large screen you can use bootstrap framework. It is easy to use & make responsive sites by adapting default bootstrap classes.
    smart baba likes this.

Member #
    Agreed, bootstrap can remove all the breakpoint fuss, but with breakpoints try to resize down with a browser and note down to what the size of the window is that the design may get a bit fuzzy and then try use that breakpoint noted previously on the browser to make it responsive

Remove Ads