Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Divium
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Web design & development tutorial serie

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Web design & development tutorial serie

Hi, my name is Kevin and I'm new to this forum. I published this post because I would like to hear from people what they think about a tutorial serie on Instructable.

So, first,

I've been thinking about to create a tutorial serie that covers everything about how to design & develop a website. The tutorial parts will be published on Instructsbles.

Below you will find some ideas I have

The photo I added is one of my latest projects. It's a website that displays the current weather and a forcast. If you would like a tutorial how I made that, please let me know.

- explaining the basics of flat design (todays standard in web design)
    - creating a website in pure html & css from the ground up
    - creating a compleet wordpress theme
    - Jquery animation that will give the website some interactions and "flow"

Thanks for reading. And let me know what you think! Or if you have any ideas yourself.

received_971659382883134.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    It is easy to understand making of a website.
    But practically how some faults come into a good design is always a problem. Focus more on sorting out these problems. This will make it more worthy.
    It is much more time consuming than making a website.
    Mostly divs get out of lines or total collapse of a div occurs. sometimes, CSS does not work all all or something gets missing.

Ask a new web designer, what he feels when things do not work.
    Last edited by satindertech; Mar 24th, 2016 at 11:34 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    satindertech made a valid point in a lefthanded way; there are tons of the types of tutorials you're talking about out there. We don't need any more. They've been done to death, buried, dug up, had the corpses reanimated, had the corpses beaten to complete stillness, and reburied.

Now, if you're going to offer a series of tutorials on web design topics that are rarely if ever covered (e.g. contrast ratio), then okay...might be interesting. Or how to build that weather widget. Maybe. Otherwise, I wouldn't spend much time on this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    satindertech made a valid point in a lefthanded way; there are tons of the types of tutorials you're talking about out there. We don't need any more. They've been done to death, buried, dug up, had the corpses reanimated, had the corpses beaten to complete stillness, and reburied.

Now, if you're going to offer a series of tutorials on web design topics that are rarely if ever covered (e.g. contrast ratio), then okay...might be interesting. Or how to build that weather widget. Maybe. Otherwise, I wouldn't spend much time on this.
    The thing I feel bad about that is topics like contrast ratio are rather boring to those who don't understand it. Hell even to those that do understand it probably find it boring but still understand the importance of it. I feel like that applies to a lot of topics that relate to web design but have very few, if any, tutorials.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for the reply, and I know that there are plenty of tutorials about web design in general and I don't want to create another tutorial that everyone has seen many times. For example the weather widget I created is something you don't find many of, yes there are enough tutorials about how to get weather data, but not many cover how to design around it.

I love flat and material design that are currently the standard in web design world. And we all know that there are plenty of UI kits to use out there, but what I want to do is creating everything from the ground up. Using a UI kit or PSD is for sure handy and faster, but you mis alot of stuff.

Anyways, if you have any other ideas that you would like to see please let me know then

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    The thing I feel bad about that is topics like contrast ratio are rather boring to those who don't understand it. Hell even to those that do understand it probably find it boring but still understand the importance of it. I feel like that applies to a lot of topics that relate to web design but have very few, if any, tutorials.
    It's absolutely boring. I never said that it wasn't.

The thing with topics such as contrast ratio and more importantly accessibility is that the lawmakers throughout the world are quietly instituting laws requiring sites to "conform to accessibility standards", including England's nebulous and vague Equality Act of 2010, which replaced its equally vague Disability Discrimination Act. Eventually a lot of the designs that are out there, including both the weather widget from the original post (white on yellow) and possibly the WDF layout itself, will probably fall under the "fails accessibility check, BE WARNED HEAVILY and then BE FINED HEAVILY". It's a government cash cow waiting to happen.

This is why I made the suggestion that I made.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads