Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    i'm having some trouble looking for a good web hosting!!really good ones ...to support ideally website... :tired:

i am still beginner webdesigner..
    so i need a possible solution of these web hosting...needed feedback!

Globat?
    ipowerweb?
    lunarpages?

or any other suggestion on web hosting?
    thanks in advance. :bored:

Member #
    There are different webhosts outthere who are really good ones. Before signing up with a good host for your website is to prepare a checklist. The checklist should have the following details:

Technical Support
    Technical support is one of the most important factor you need to consider when a choosing a web host. Test different companies before you sign up by sending them an email with a question or two. If they respond quickly, this is a good sign.

Uptime
    The more uptime they guarantee, the better. 99% uptime is the minimum acceptable standard. Look for 99% plus guaranteed uptime. 1% of uptime is about 87 hours in a year.

Disk Space
    Decide how much disk space you will require. A basic web site with few images and about 10 to 20 pages will not take up much web space . If you require a lot of graphics or multimedia or you need to store a lot of information, you will need a bit higher disk space. Again you can increase your web space as required with almost all the hosts by paying the extra charges.

Data Transfer
    This factor is usually overlooked until the data transfer limit is reached. If you go over your alloted data transfer, you will get a hefty bill. If you are running a site with lots of downloads, or a site with lots of images such at a photo post site, your data transfer will be higher than a site with mainly text. The average website uses less than 200MB of bandwidth per month.

Scripting Languages support
    If you using a scripting language to output your html, you need to check whether the plan has support for that script. You will need a windows hosting plan only if you are using microsoft scripting languages like asp and asp.net.

CGI Bin
    This is now standard feature with almost all hosting companies. If you do not have access to your own CGI Bin, you cannot install your own cgi scripts and programs.

Perl
    If you do not have Perl, you cannot run Perl Programs. Many good scripts that you buy or get for free are written in Perl. In my opinion, it would be a limitation not to have the latest version of Perl installed

SSI
    Server Side Includes are great if you want to spend minimal time updating your site. Again this feature is provided by many hosts.

FTP Access
    Unlimited and unrestricted FTP access to your site is essential. You will need an FTP program to transfer files from your computer to the server.

Statistics Program
    A good stats program is handy if you want to keep an eye on how many visitors you are getting, where they are coming from, referrers, top entry and exit pages and so on. Some companies offer excellent stats programs as standard while others offer basic stats but you have to pay extra for advanced statistics

Along with this you will alos need to add some application specific needs like cronjobs, ssh access to the checklist if your website is advance programmed.

Member #
    Also decide whether you may code in php, asp, .net
    Do you need a database, like mysql or sql.

Make sure you plan in advance for you future needs so that you don't have to move hosts when you start to grow. You may not need something now, but you may need it further down the road!

Do they have a good control panel, and let you alter dns settings, custom pages, email accounts, etc.
    Paul Creedy
    Visit my community site at: www.rhonddacynontaff.com
    My hosting: www.rcthosting.com
    My Content Management product: www.dynamiccontenteditor.com

Member #
    I have written reviews on 2 hosts that I use. Perhaps they will help .

1 and 1 Review
    Site5 Review

Remove Ads