Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Hosting Matters

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I was getting tired of DH for two main reasons: first because I didn't have Telnet/SSH I couldn't reliably back up my database (phpmyadmin caused timeout errors), and second because I was scraping the bandwidth limit. After moving servers I also found out I was extremely close to filling up the 50 MB. So TT needed a new server to grow, and transplant the site I did. It took an entire day to move the database due to how only the new host (HM) had SSH.

I chose with the following requirements: at least 50 MB/5 GB with PHP4/MySQL3.23 and now, SSH or Telnet. They also had to accept PayPal because I don't have a credit card. I got on top of that everything with the B1000 plan: http://www.hostingmatters.com/comparison.html . I paid annually, so it was a bit over $110. Obviously way more than DH, but well worth the extra cost.

Activation was great: I just filled out a form, and within minutes I was given an IP and directory, along with FTP and CPanel information. I FTPed files and everything worked great. The server I'm on (Zephyros) is very fast.

It's been fun playing with CPanel. I get custom error pages and other frills, and best of all POP3/SMTP e-mail. Since my ISP's mail is less than reliable (a huge understatement) I wanted to use this feature too.

Their support is excellent to say the least. One unfortunate way I had to experience it was by finding a security hole. It went far enough that I could view user's password hashes for their forums they have set up on their accounts. I posted in HM's forums and submitted a top-priority support ticket, and it was solved immediately.

Since then I've had random questions from SSH (which you must ask to activate, it does not come activated) to FTP stuff. They were even nice enough to create an FTP account with custom rights, one that CPanel doesn't allow.

My experience with them so far has been awesome and I can't think of a reason to not recommend them.

Pros: Excellent support via forums and support tickets, server speeds usually very fast, decent prices (not outstanding but not extremely expensive), accept PayPal
    Cons: I found a security hole but it was fixed within minutes
    Rating: 9.5/10
    URLs: Hosting Matters: http://www.hostmatters.com/ , TT Server Info: http://zephyrosinfo.hmdns.net/

Edit: edited to remove details of the security hole
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I would like to DITTO what Mr. Filburt1 says to this review. This is a terrific host, very helpful, knowledgable, quick service, and terrific speed.

Member #
    I was wondering if you both still think Hosting Matters is a great host. I've had about 3 days of downtime in the past 3/4 months and was thinking about setting up my newer clients there. Any positive negatives?
    SolTyra, Inc.

IM: SolTyra
    EM: tom@soltyra.com

Member #
    I still have nothing but good things to say for Hosting Matters. They are the best host I've ever worked with.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    I have them as well and they rock. The admin section is very nice.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I'm with them and am very happy. I would also recommend them.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Explain to me how their reseller plans work... what is the $20/month for? Just the right to resell, and then you have to pay them $3/month for each domain you host?

Sounds very expensive compared to most reseller accounts where you pay something like $15/month for 2GB of space or similar which you can carve up to your heart's content without paying any additional money.

Sean

Remove Ads