Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Edit: As of about 6/16/02, TT is not hosted by DH anymore.

I'm cheap, so I wanted to find cheap hosting. My requirements were simple: PHP4, mySQL3, 50 MB space, 5 GB bandwidth. Discount Hosting barely meets that, and at $10/year the price definitely can't be beat.

Getting an account is somewhat complicated: first you change the nameservers for your domain name. Then you get a customer ID, and wait for them to validate your account. Once it is validated, they send you a welcome e-mail with your FTP/mySQL username and password.

The good news: the servers are extremely fast. I get about 350 KB/sec downstream, and the upstream is faster than my cable upstream cap, so I can't measure it accurately. Also while they don't officially offer support, they have a simple forum where they usually answer questions. Also, FTP is very simple: / is the same as yourdomain.com/ . There is no public_html or anything like that, but also there's no cgi-bin either. PHP files will run anywhere in your entire account.

The bad news: they offer absolutely no upgrades (i.e., no more space, bandwidth, more mySQL dbs in addition to the one they give you). They also offer no Telnet, so it made transferring the forum database a living nightmare. Also, while they're not that hard to interpret, the statistics you get for your site are only in French. There's also no gzip, which is very bad considering my forums use up the majority of my site's bandwidth.

So in summary, if you want a full-featured host, look elsewhere than Discount Hosting's low features. But if all you need is mySQL, PHP, 5 GB of bandwidth, and 50 MB of space, go with them.

Yes, TurtleTips is hosted by them, in case you haven't figured it out yet.

URL: http://www.discount-hosting.com/
    Service Type: Web Hosting
    Pros: Very fast servers, simple to FTP to your account and upload files, PHP4 and mySQL3, really really really cheap
    Cons: Site statistics are in French, PHP is out of date by several minor versions (PHP 4.0.1 was installed at the time), no "official" support, and worst of all, no gzip, you have to change the domain nameservers yourself, no Telnet, no upgrades on the only plan
    Rating: Depends, if the features are enough for you, 9/10, if you want more, then 7/10
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Remove Ads