Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I was very surprised today to find out that GoDaddy has a scam going on...

Yes, GoDaddy...

Not sure how aware you are of what BackOrdering is. Essentially, it's when a domain name is expiring, you get the opportunity to place a back-order through a registrar for them to try to snatch it up as soon as it becomes available.

They charge a premium for this service. GoDaddy charges $18.99.

Well, I recently placed a back-order for a domain. And I got lucky!! GoDaddy got possession!!! YAY!! No, not yay... see, because GoDaddy decided that they don't want to play the backorder game anymore.

See, if you place a backorder with GoDaddy on a domain name that was previously registered with GoDaddy, before they release the domain name to the public, they first place it into their TDNAM (The Domain Name After-Market) auction system, and now you have to BID on the domain name THAT YOU BACKORDERED, and pay GoDaddy an elevated price!!!

So what is the premium price for??? :shrug:

Since when does a REGISTRAR get the right to play the front-running game on domain names they're posturing to be helping you acquire?

BIG TIME WTF!!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    GoDaddy is a total scam anyway. I had the mispleasure of trying to get a (free) domain from them today and just gave up.

Namecheap is my preferred registrar as you know. Remember to use a promo code: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/namecheap.com
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    It's been a while since I've registered a domain, but if I recall correctly, GoDaddy registers your domain in their name and are none-to-pleased if you want to take your name elsewhere. That coincides with the situation you have, about them being possessive over names.

Someone told me if you want to take your name to a different host, they won't let you. Not sure if that's true or not, but I've always been wary of them.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    all my domains are registered through godaddy, they have specials where you regsiter a certain number of domains and you get free private whois through domainbyproxy.
    Never had an issue with them, except when trying to pre-reg a .co domain (5 of them) which i didnt get.
    I did do backordering once, and i do agree its a scam.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Edit: Re-Opened

Member #
    There are many hosting companies that do the backorder thing, does anyone know if they all do this or is there a chance of it working out somewhere else? Also, is hostingdude.com a part of Godaddy? It sure looks like it. I know this is an old discussion but it doesn't seem done?

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakman View Post
    There are many hosting companies that do the backorder thing, does anyone know if they all do this or is there a chance of it working out somewhere else? Also, is hostingdude.com a part of Godaddy? It sure looks like it. I know this is an old discussion but it doesn't seem done?
    HostingDude looks to be another crappy WildWestDomains reseller - in essence they pay GoDaddy a high fee every year fir a tiny discount on domains and a website to resell them from.

Personally I would avoid such a host/domain registrar - they make next to nothing in profit as the expenses are so high. I did work it out once and it was something like 10,000 domains a year to earn enough profit to turn a decent wage.

Its not worth the risk - stick with well known registrars such as namecheap and domainsite

Member #
    How about this entire backorder thing? That's not a guarantee that I am going to get the name is it? I hate to dish out 21 bucks and not get it.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Nope, its not guaranteed.

For one thing, someone else could grab it before GoDaddy's automated script does. For another, what happens if 2, 5, 10 or even 100 people have also backordered it via GoDaddy?

There's also the risk that the domain never gets dropped.

Remove Ads