Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Recently I moved a site to a new hosting company. After pointing the name servers to the new host, the site has been switching back and forth between the old server and the new server. I know that it takes 24-48 hours to fully propagate.

Here's the strange thing. Sometimes I get the old server in one browser and the new server in another browser. For example, in Firefox I am able to see the site on the new server and browse around. In Opera, I am seeing the older server even after completely clearing the browser cache. This has been going on for the past two days.

Has anyone else seen this? Very strange.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Have you rebooted in this time?

I know that Opera's DNS cache persists so long as its process is running. You have to restart Opera to get it to refresh its DNS cache, and even if you've tried that, there could be some opera.exe process still hanging around.

As for actual DNS propogation times, it varies wildly by ISP. When I register a new domain via Namecheap I see it in literally a few minutes on Comcast, but other networks can't until the normal propogation time.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Not sure when the last reboot was. Been in and out of sleep / hibernation. It's all a blur

Seriously though, sometimes Opera starts working and then it goes back to pulling from the old server, even though Firefox is pulling from the new server. That's why I didn't think it was a DNS cache issue because it has happened maybe 10 times that one browser is working while the other is not and then suddenly they are both working. Also, I've tried closing Opera when Firefox was working and then reopening Opera after cache was cleared and it still wouldn't work. Then a half hour later it would start working.

I think the propagation is almost finished, hardly getting any downtime alerts from my uptime reporting service at this point.

Member #
    Okay. Just rebooted and cleared Opera cache. Firefox is loading new server and Opera is not. Downwight cwazy!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I have the same issue with a site we did for a client... (www.montessorischoolmiami.com)

It works fine for me on IE, but not in Firefox.

Strangest part is that if I access it as http://montessorischoolmiami.com (minus the www) I can see it fine. :-X

Member #
    Okay. So it isn't just my computer!

It looks like there are still a few places that the change hasn't propagated yet. I am still getting the occasional error when the Drupal cron job runs every hour to access cron.php with lynx.

Are you going to do a 301 redirect to remove or only use www?

Nice looking Drupal site btw

Remove Ads