Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi Im going to launch my first blog its similar to http://css-tricks.com it has articles, video podcasts and a forum page that would be powered by phpbb. . . Im planning to buy a hosting service at justhost.com... would this be a good idea?

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Hi John,

JustHost are a fairly large host, but please, please dont be pulled in by their offers. They offer unlimited space/bandwidth, which is physically impossible. Somewhere deep in their TOS, it will say that they will terminate your account if it uses too many resources.

What are your diskspace and bandwidth requirements?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by John Tanedo View Post
    Hi Im going to launch my first blog its similar to CSS-Tricks it has articles, video podcasts and a forum page that would be powered by phpbb. . . Im planning to buy a hosting service at justhost.com... would this be a good idea?
    Do you really need Unlimited resources?

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I've used JustHost in the past and found them to be perfectly fine. Obviously you dont get unlimited, because thats just not possible...but you do get a decent speed. Never had any issues with cpu load warnings or got told off for storing too much.

I used it to host 3 large gallery sites, all of which had approx 150-200 people online at any given time. My disk usage was at least 6GB. Cant remember what bandwidth usage was but was likely at least 100GB /mo.

At the end of the day, its only $4 - give it a shot. If you dont like them, just cancel...you're $4 down, but at least you've tried them!

Member #
    As I mentioned in another post. Lead with other things you need besides just the hosting and costs. What type of support do you need? Will you have special technical requirements? How are your skills at managing a hosting account? What about backups?

Since you are launching a blog, you may find yourself better served by a company that specializes in blog hosting with the blog platform you choose.

Be careful of toplist on blog software sites, many of those are nothing more than paid adverts.

Member #
    A regular blog would probably never need that much space. I suppose around 1-2GB space and 15GB bandwidth would be more than enough for your blog, no matter how large it gets over time, and most of it will go unconsumed anyway. And if you do happen to outgrow your existing hosting plan, there's always an option to upgrade as almost every shared web hosting provider will readily do that.

Look around for hosts that provide plans targeted at blog owners because they'll most likely give you more value for your money instead of looking for over the top offers like unlimited this and unlimited that. Usually, unlimited space is still limited by inodes, i.e. the number of files uploaded to an account. That's something else you might want to ask your unlimited hosting provider before you choose to go with them because you might just find your account suspended one fine morning because it exceeded the max allowed number of files, even though the host advertised "unlimited space" on their front page.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RickM View Post
    Hi John,

JustHost are a fairly large host, but please, please dont be pulled in by their offers. They offer unlimited space/bandwidth, which is physically impossible. Somewhere deep in their TOS, it will say that they will terminate your account if it uses too many resources.

What are your diskspace and bandwidth requirements?
    I have seen justhost getting some really bad reviews stay away from them

Member #
    I have to. I suggest you stay away as its just not physicaly possible.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    There are some times when you get what you pay for. Hosting, in my opinion, is one such market. I have used the cheap hosting companies before including JustHost, HostMonster, BlueHost, etc... They are the garden variety $3.99 - $6.99 a month hosting providers.

I still use these types of hosts on my throw away sites that I'm not concerned about.

For sites where I want reliability and make an income from, I use either Pair Hosting or Dream Host. They are both good hosts but costs more than the hosts I mentioned earlier.

Remove Ads