Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi, ive made a few sites before from simple CSS templates to PHP and JSP but ive always passed them on or locally hosted, now ive been asked to host it online so my mate can edit the content

Think hes happy with all the pages and info to be stored on the site itself rather than SQL or another database so thats no problem

Ive made sites with Wordpress and thats hosted with GoDaddy but ive had no involvement with them.

So as far as I can see i either have to use a template with a hosting company to be able to have one of those nice big 'edit' buttons or get a domain with an admin login to allow editing of the code itself. Am I right in saying so?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Member #
    hi. i recommend godaddy. they have all you need.

Member #
    GoDaddy

I agree. GoDaddy has faithfully served me for quite some time.:-D

Member #
    I use Mister.net and enjoy them but there are a lot of hosting companies out there. With Mister.net you pay the full 29.99 per year. Others may charge less godaddy.com charges a lot less but may advertise on the site unless you pay the higher price.

Member #
    GoDaddy is certainly not the best when it comes to web hosting, do proper research.

Member #
    I have heard a lot of people complaining about GoDaddy, I use them with one of my clients and haven't a whole lot of problems but it is very jumbled up and hard to navigate. Maybe this article will help a litte:

<removed>

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    @Psyhe1012 - link removed.

Hosting toplists are a lie. If you notice, they all recommend the hosts that have the highest affiliate pay out. Stick to true, real life reviews...never go by what a hosting toplist tells you

I *personally* have used and recommend:

Clook.net
    SurpassHosting / HostDime
    VPSLink
    HostGator (haven't used hem for about 3 years though)
    JustHost
    HostingZoom / ResellerZoom
    JaguarPC
    FutureHosting (They host WDF!)

I know from experience that these are companies I trust. They are the first port of call when I need hosting for anything that doesn't warrant a dedicated server.

Member #
    That sounds like fair advice. I copied those down if you don't mind. I graduated in 08 so I don't have a lot of RW experience in hosting. Are there any that host coldfusion?

Thanks

Member #
    I suggest you start with a list of criteria, such as:

- technical requirements
    - shell access
    - backups?
    - costs
    - contract term
    - support provided
    etc.
    Look at your own expertise in terms of getting hosting setup. Do you need a lot of help or can you do it yourself? In general, I find the large shared hosting providers (Godaddy, yahoo, etc) do a poorer job of support than smaller providers. They offer a lower cost product but it comes at the expense of support.

Also ask about backups. Does your host do it or charge extra? etc.

Put together a list of what you want/need and then start shopping around.

RickM is right. Most all toplists are simply paid placement. Look for user reviews in real blogs (not marketing blogs). Be weary of forum posts unless there is some good detail in the review.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruhath View Post
    Hi, ive made a few sites before from simple CSS templates to PHP and JSP but ive always passed them on or locally hosted, now ive been asked to host it online so my mate can edit the content

Think hes happy with all the pages and info to be stored on the site itself rather than SQL or another database so thats no problem

Ive made sites with Wordpress and thats hosted with GoDaddy but ive had no involvement with them.

So as far as I can see i either have to use a template with a hosting company to be able to have one of those nice big 'edit' buttons or get a domain with an admin login to allow editing of the code itself. Am I right in saying so?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    GoDaddy servers are down alot

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads