Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi everybody, I just joined these forums and I'm really hoping somebody can help me by answering some really basic questions.

I have a background in graphic design but I'm trying to move more into web design. While I've done some web design work before, I've never been the one to handle registering the domain name or setting up the hosting so I'm pretty clueless. However, I just got a new client who wants me to handle all of this for him and I'm not entirely sure how to go about this. I think I found a suitable hosting company that isn't too expensive and provides a domain name with hosting, but my question is - should I just send my client a link to the hosting company's website so they can register everything, or should I register everything in my name and just bill the client for it? The former seems to make more sense to me, but I've heard some designers talk about billing clients for hosting and 'reseller plans' and such that I don't entirely understand. Anyway, hopefully my question doesn't sound too terribly stupid Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    registration options

I have registered a number of domain names for clients - usually I register more than one, as it can be useful to own the .com, .net and in my case with many Canadian clients also the .ca domains. They are not very expensive and I just point the "extras" at the main site.

I register the first domain when I get the hosting for them, as it is usually offered for free. I then go to a registrar that I use all the time and register the rest. I make it a point to register the client as the owner of the domain and myself as the administrative contact, after all it is their domain, not mine.

I print hard copies of all the e-mail confirmations so they can see what the charges are and send them along with my bill for the total expenditure plus a one-time fee of $25 for the service.

I have never had any trouble with this method, and in fact several of my clients have said they would gladly have paid a lot more not to have to figure out how to do it.

I do know several other designers who host sites on their own shared servers, as add-on domains, and charge the client as if it was a separate account. I think this is skating close to the edge of something unethical, so I don't do it, but each to his own.

Hope this helps you somewhat.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    It is quite normal for Designers to also handle the registration of domains and arrange hosting of projects. You can register a domain name in your clients name (with relevant contact details). That way when the domain comes up for renewal they get the renewal notifications.

Ask your client which way they would like to play it. A lot of customers (especially small businesses) won't understand the domain process. Also don't be afraid to add a little to the cost of the domain name to cover the work involved in setting up a domain name and hosting account. Be upfront with your client but don't feel that you must do it for free. Setting up domain and hosting account will consume about 1/2 hr all being well.

You might want to shop around for a reseller account to start with that includes cPanel. This offers one click installation of scripts, setting up email addresses etc. A reseller should cost you no more than 10 to 20 depending on disk space etc.

Hope this helps
    Dave

Member #
    Think Business not Tech
    Web design and web hosting are related but different enterprises. Given the low costs and margins in hosting, I would say that you are better off just sending your client to a well respected hosting provider that you can work with.

Hosting Providers are Commodities
    Godaddy, Yahoo, 1and1, Liquidweb, and the list continues. Each have their pros and cons.

Register the Domain with a Major Registrar
    I always recommend that business owners handle their own domain registrations or pay someone to register the domain for them with a major registrar. Stay away from reseller registrars. The headaches they can cause are simply not worth it. The few dollars you save are peanuts over the course of the domain registration.

Goto Godaddy, Enom, Tucows, or Network Solutions and register the domain for 5-10 years. Put the name is the business owner. You can list yourself as a tech contact.

Scale
    There is little money in shared hosting these days unless you have scale. As a graphics designer, you can likely earn far more by doing another billable hour of work than trying to pick up $2-5/mo on a hosting account. Besides, your clients probably come to you for design work not hosting, so focus on your core strengths.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffatrackaid View Post
    Think Business not Tech
    Web design and web hosting are related but different enterprises. Given the low costs and margins in hosting, I would say that you are better off just sending your client to a well respected hosting provider that you can work with.

Hosting Providers are Commodities
    Godaddy, Yahoo, 1and1, Liquidweb, and the list continues. Each have their pros and cons.

Register the Domain with a Major Registrar
    I always recommend that business owners handle their own domain registrations or pay someone to register the domain for them with a major registrar. Stay away from reseller registrars. The headaches they can cause are simply not worth it. The few dollars you save are peanuts over the course of the domain registration.

Goto Godaddy, Enom, Tucows, or Network Solutions and register the domain for 5-10 years. Put the name is the business owner. You can list yourself as a tech contact.

Scale
    There is little money in shared hosting these days unless you have scale. As a graphics designer, you can likely earn far more by doing another billable hour of work than trying to pick up $2-5/mo on a hosting account. Besides, your clients probably come to you for design work not hosting, so focus on your core strengths.
    Great tips. I highly recommend registering with a accredited register like godaddy 1and1. I do not suggest hosting with them as they overly pack there servers and its generaly bad. I'd also get the free domain extensions as you dont want any cyber squaters (.tk and .co.cc)

Remove Ads