Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I created a website for a friend of mine and am having a little trouble. He originally purchased a .info domain so we set him up with that, but then he was able to get his .com domain so we set that account up.

The problem is now whenever I upload anything to the .com the .info gets the same changes and the .info is now the one getting the se rankings. I want to use a 301 redirect from the .info to the .com (or vice versa) but can't think of how to do it as both the .info and the .com will be changed.

Any suggestions?

Member #
    Add this code to your .htaccess file

Code:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?yourdomain.info(.*) [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.yourdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mpkeith View Post
    I created a website for a friend of mine and am having a little trouble. He originally purchased a .info domain so we set him up with that, but then he was able to get his .com domain so we set that account up.

The problem is now whenever I upload anything to the .com the .info gets the same changes and the .info is now the one getting the se rankings. I want to use a 301 redirect from the .info to the .com (or vice versa) but can't think of how to do it as both the .info and the .com will be changed.

Any suggestions?
    What you're asking is a common "problem" .. you've not mentioned what control panel or hosting platform you're using ... because, if you are using something like cPanel, you can simply create the .info as an add-on domain account to the .com, and then setup the 301-redirect via the control panel from the .info to the .com ...

Member #
    That's what I would've done but it's on a host I'm not really familiar with that doesn't have cpanel (ipower). I ended up getting ahold of their tech support and got it figured out, but it's still not exactly how I'd like it.

The solution was in their (ipower's) control panel under "domain pointing magager", where I was able to point the .info to the .com. Seems I'm only allowed one "pointer" though. On my own sites, I have the non-www point to the www via htaccess and I'd like to do this on here as well, but I'm afraid if I create the htaccess to do this it will mess up the "pointer" from the .info to the .com (I'm not exactly sure how ipower's "domain pointing manager" works).

I guess I'll give it a shot and see if it works. I'll post here if it does.

Remove Ads