Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Can anyone shed some light as to what fair market hosting rates these days are? I am a beginning freelancer who intends on offering hosting services, and am unsure what a fair monthly rate is. $10-50/ mth? What are the ordinary services cover with hosting fees? Email? Server maintenance?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    It really depends on what your requirements are.

It comes down to
    • Bandwidth
    • Control Panels
    • Is the host overselling
    • Server operation cost
    • Staffing costs
    • Power costs
    • Dedicated IP cost (optional)
    • Management cost (optional)
    • etc

No single host has the 'right' price - it will vary from host to host.

To give you an idea, I used to run a VPS host. We offered VPS hosting in two locations; Dallas and Scranton. Our servers in Dallas were much cheaper to run (hosting in Dallas is generally cheap) so our prices there were lower.

Shop around, read reviews and ask dummy questions to their pre-sales staff (to see how knowledgable and fast they are).

Just remember, there is NO SUCH THING AS UNLIMITED. Its a lie. Any host offering unlimited hosting has a clause in their TOS saying they will close the account if you use too much space/bandwidth.

Also, avoid the stupidly priced packages. If you see a host offering 10GB space, 1TB Bandwidth for $10 - they are overselling big time.

Personally, I would expect to pay $5 for:
    1GB-3GB Space
    50-100GB Bandwidth
    cPanel or DirectAdmin
    Full 24/7/365 Support
    99.9% uptime (with a good SLA)

That's a fairly realistic offer (IMHO).

Hope this helps. If you do need some recommendations for a host, shoot me a PM and I'll link you up to some that I've used.

Member #
    RickM thank you for your advise. I must apologize because I was too vague in my initial question. I already have hosting space here in Dallas. I meant to ask what is a fair market hosting fee to charge clients who I build website for. And what kind of support should I offer them. Does this make sense. Sorry for the confusion.

Member #
    If your charging client it depends on how much work. Are you doing maintence as well if so that could be 3-4 hours and 50$ would not be out of the question. If your just giving them hosting I wouldn't do more then 12.95

Remove Ads