Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello, :-D

First I am not a website designer at all. My website is my first and I am using the website builder/host website tonight with godaddy as was recommend to me.

I don't have many complaints about website tonight.... I'm happy with how my site looks and how I can put things where ever I want(articles, ads, etc.) and choose nice layouts, fairly easy.....Lately Iv been wondering though, because I never shopped around if there are other good website builders/hosts out there that maybe are just as good if not better for less...maybe? I pay for the PREMIUM 999-page Web site $12.99/mo.. :nervous:

Do I have a good deal with website tonight or is there something that's comparable and better?

Just hoping people who know about these things could help, googling it there are soo many I just don't know! =-O

I know many seem frown upon website builders as opposed to making your own with all this code but because of certain circumstances I just prefer the online website builder type deals for now....

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Instead of paying $12.99 a month for this service plus your additional hosting costs, you could just install WordPress. Usually places like GoDaddy have a simple push button install for these.

Then you could purchase one of the many thousands of Wordpress templates. There are even free templates available. I often visit ThemeForest.net for a quick template.

This allows you to create your own site using a theme that suits your needs. It also eliminates the $12.99 a month service you are paying. In most cases, buying a theme would pay for itself in 2 months.

I only suggest this method because you mentioned you do not like to code.

Member #
    Thank you for responding. :classic:

The 12.99 is hosting and web builder in one because its the only fee I pay. Actually its godaddy but thru another affiliate I guess who makes a percentage but basically godaddy.

Would you say wordpress is like the website tonight web builder in how it works? I don't see a place to download it should i download it from the main site...is it free?

Isn't wordpress something you download and use then upload it? I have satellite Internet and limits on what all I can download/upload. ...I would then have to find a host to host the site I build off line?? It's sounds very complicated but then I could be over thinking it? :-[

Would hosting with godaddy be ok?? I have zero clue about how it would all work as Iv only ever used the website tonight..I work on the content and all that, click publish, done. :-\

Sorry for all the questions if I could bring down the price but still have a nice site that would be great.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Hosting on your own with Wordpress, you could pay $2-5 per month, and you'd have a much more flexible publishing tool.

You'd also have access to professionally designed templates from companies like Press75.com*|*Exceptional WordPress Themes

However, it's a bit more of a "Do it yourself" approach.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    WordPress allows you to modify your content via an online login panel.

GoDaddy hosting on it's own is fine for hosting your WordPress site though as smoseley mentioned, there may be cheaper alternatives. I have used GoDaddy's hosting before along with other hosts and it was fine for my purposes then.

I'm not that familiar with Website Tonight but have heard you are limited to what you can do from an SEO standpoint. With WordPress hosted on your account, you pretty much are not limited to anything at all.

Member #
    I'm just not sure it's simple enough for me at this point. is there a way to just try/test wordpress?

Thanks for responding and helping me!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ForestGirl View Post
    I'm just not sure it's simple enough for me at this point. is there a way to just try/test wordpress?
    It has been a while since I have hosted with GoDaddy but I believe they had an area where you could install free applications such as WordPress. All you had to do was click on the install and enter a couple items like user name and where you wanted to install and you were in business.

I would thing for $12.95 a month you would have this capability.

Member #
    hmm. I looked in a free and credit section but didn't see it. I'll do a proper search though its possible it's there somewhere and I just missed it..

In the event that I manage to use wordpress efficiently, do you suggest any specific reliable hosts? I'm not even sure what to look for in a host.

And yes for $12.95 a month I think I shouldn't be limited much. But I have no other experience but anyway..... bringing down the price would be great because its not even paying for itself....of course as long as the quality of the site doesn't go down with it hopefully it will improve....its def worth a try..

EDIT
    ---------------------------------------------------

Ok I just found that I have a free hosting package with my domain that i can activate it is this..

ECONOMY PLAN
    10 GB Space
    Unlimited Bandwidth
    100 Email Accounts
    10 MySQL Databases

Is that bad? or Good? or ok? What is MySQL?

Wow if I could go from 12.99 to free that would rock lol

But I can not find wordpress. I think I have to activate the hosting account (which I cant because I currently have websitetonight) to download it...There are a couple other domains that are not in use/hosted if I find out how to download wordpress thru one of them will it still work or will it be like setup registered with that specific url? (sorry absolutely have no clue about this) I don't want to cancel other hosting till I know I can have something ready to go back up.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Going with WordPress won't diminish the look of your site I'm sure. If anything, it will probably look a lot better and have even more functionality than your current one with the great plugins you can find. Most plugins are free by the way.

As far as you hosting needs go, that is really dependent upon what you will use the site for. What you have listed below should be more than adequate for a WordPress site.

I found this on GoDaddy's site which shows the various addons for their hosting accounts. I have never used their free hosting so I'm not sure how to access these addons through there.FREE Connections Resource for Hosting Software and Support

When I did use GoDaddy, their support was not bad. I would suggest giving them a call and letting them know you want to try out WordPress while keeping your existing site running. They should be able to help you out with this.

If you like it, great, keep it and use it. If not, you still have your existing site using Website Tonight.

Member #
    I will contact them and hopefully try it out. Thanks again for your help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads