Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    If this is an inappropriate place to post a questions like this, I'm sorry. I'm not trying to sell my domain to you or anything just asking how. I just got help here before (about hosting) so thought it would be a good place to ask. If I should ask else where, please direct me!

I have a domain or 2 that maybe I could sell. I'm not thinking of running and selling it today for 1000 billion dollars or anything. I understand theres time and that someone out there has to be interested in it etc. but I'm trying to figure out how to go about it. Which comes to my questions. Iv never sold a domain ever.....In fact I'm pretty much a noob at websites too and I have been searching things on google. I found ''leapfish.com'' that was said to give free appraisals now the 2 domains my family and I have that we are actually working on (not selling) both said they were worth $10.00...

The one I want to sell said Domain Valuation: $303,338 then if I took off the www. it said Domain Valuation: $130,005 then I tried the other domain I might sell and it said Domain Valuation: $744 and without www. it said Domain Valuation: $216 So I started wondering how good leapfish is at giving me some type of idea/ lol I wondering how they are getting these numbers? Is there a good place to get a free appraisal that you could recommend because leap fish doesn't seem so great? How important is an appraisal for a regular sell like if I just want to sell not try to make millions off it.

The main one I want to sell is a decent domain I think but really I don't know if someone would even pay a dollar for it or what.

I also don't know where to sell, In my searching I found ''https://sedo.com/'' recommended to sell at. Do you think https://sedo.com/ is a good place? (I assume where ever I go they will prob want a percentage of the selling price but hopefully that means after its sold?) At first glance it seems like an easy thing to do there but Would you recommend a different place?

Id love to hear from people who actually know about these things, like at this site. Thanks for reading all this.

Banned
    Member #
    It would help if you could tell us the domain name you were trying to sell to see what kind of money you can actually get out of it. I had a friend nab a domain name that he sold to a popular hotel chain for 50k. Sedo is a very popular place to sell domains.

Member #
    Oh its nothing like that I'm afraid... by decent I mean maybe get what I paid for it? :nervous: Actually I checked and the other popular Dot Whatevers are all available. It was decent in that when I tried making a blog with it, it went very well considering I did nothing like advertising or anything like that. Just posted.....I think I kinda had a good idea and I got some people coming and was showing up in a decent way when I would google some blog posts they were there (as opposed to site I put much more effort in not even showing up where I can find it in google) .....I just couldn't keep up with the blog....it took allot of visiting sites...so I quit it....The other domain is one my dad picked so not sure about it...I don't think I'm suppose to post links here? Think more in the terms of just an average everyday domain to sell for a few dollars would sedo work or is it not worth it for a small pricing?

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Firstly, dont trust automated domain valuations...they are never even close to being right.

The domain value can be estimated by looking first at how memorable, short, readable etc the domain is. You should then use search ranking tools to see how your key words rank in search engines. If the domain is too specific, its likely not worth anything.

To give you an example with some domains I own:

iPodBrain.com - its about to expire and is worth little to nothing. Why? Because whilst 'ipod' is a good (all be it trademarked) keyword, you stick 'brain' on the end and it becomes worthless.

Another domain I have - InstantGPS.com is obviously worth a fair amonut more. Based on uses it would be ideal for a GPS systems company or a generic GPS device retailer. In addition there are a lot more searches for 'instant gps' than 'ipod brain'.

Obviously this is a very small and narrow example, but you get the idea.

Your best bet would be to research a bit. I highly recommend posting a valuation request on namepros.com - you will then gauge general pricing interest from a large group of people.

Good luck

Remove Ads