Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey all, new here. So, a week or so ago, my wife comes to me and tells me she wants to start a website, which translates to "I want you to build me a website". Now mind you, the only experience I have with anything web design related is about an hour worth of instruction from one of my senior petty officers in the navy, a cd with about another hour worth of "classes" on it and the surfing I've done in my life. All the "instruction" I had was some time around 1997.

The website my wife wants to start will have to do with a medical condition she has. It will be a bit like a support site for others with the condition and will offer news, ideas and advice. I'm thinking of having a few pages on spouses living with the issue and other such related info. You get the idea. I'd like it to have a forum as well.

As the title of the thread indicates, I'm lost. No clue what I'm doing. I know I can figure it out but don't want to make a lot of mistakes with this. I've already registered the domain name with godaddy. A friend of mine mentioned I should have checked with google as you can get domain registration and hosting there for $10 a year. Kinda kicking myself there. I know I need a web design program to build the site and was thinking of wordpress. However, that's for a different forum.

So, my question is, for my needs, what hosting site should I be looking at? Where do I go from here? Any informational sites that can help? Really just looking for any kind of guidance I can get.

Thanks for any help you all can give. I'm just starting this and will be learning on the fly really.

Member #
    You just want some journaling. Forget all that. Try something like a free blogger account.

Member #
    Go for wordpress.com or some other free blog service. Should suit your needs perfectly.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I thought it was rather comical, the key here is to always blame the wife, yes!.. even for his unwanted blogging.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Hi Navmaxlp,

I would agree with the others. You'd probably be better starting on Wordpress.com and then assuming all goes well, move to your own wordpress hosted site once the site has taken off.

I wouldn't bother with a blogger.com account as if you ever do go hosted, your wife is going to have to learn how to use wordpress, typo or whatever you end up moving to - at least with wordpress.com she can get used to a single interface for posting.

Good luck!

Remove Ads