Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    How many use their own servers? How many go through hosting services? Which service is best, if any?

In the past, I have went through Bluehost and Vodahost, which I prefer Bluehost over Voda.

Is one better than the other, meaning is a hosting service better than hosting on your own?

Mick Howe
    Szyfer Designs

Member #
    I go through hosting services for my client because I am in the web designing business and not hosting business. For hosting I just purchase a package for my client and sometimes act as liason between my clients and hosting company.

When you say host your own - are you talking about buying a server from a hosting company or tangibly having your pc at home that acts as a server? If it is the latter, I highly recommend against it - as you would have to take over the duty of hosting company - that is ensuring that your data is backed up, there should not be data redundancy - and that does not guarentee that you will have 100% uptime.

I think that unless you really really need it - is you own a super big company - hosting service is the way to go.

Cheers
    Ken
    Kenneth Hill,
    Business-Centric Internet Consultant
    Feasible Designs - Benchmark Expert
    Your Vision, Your Business, Your Success, Lets Make It Happen

Member #
    Yes, I was talking about creating a server for hosting duties.

What hosting clients would you recommend. As I have said, I have went through Bluehost and Vodahost and was pretty pleased with Bluehost, but are there better alternatives?

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    We use our own servers and VPS servers.

Not a fan of shared hosting as its inherently insecure. Always has been, always will be.

As of writing this we have:

3x VPS servers
    1x Dedicated Server
    1x Backup server

At the beginning of the year we had about 14 quad core servers w/8GB ram but have since sold off the part of our business that required the 'server farm'.

If you can afford it, run it, secure it (etc) then a dedicated server is the way to go. Otherwise I would choose a VPS.

Member #
    when hosting your own servers, it is recommended to have a decent backup and restore policy, often a backup machine for storing backups is great, especially if you have gigE cards and a gigE connection.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I use a managed dedicated server myself. I don't have to worry about patches/updates, I have way more resource than I'll need for at least a year, and if you throw three HDs into your server (as I've done), you've got RAID1 + backup.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I would suggest going through a hosting service. If you host it yourself then you will find as your clients grow so will the amount of time that you have to support there sites for free, your better off leaving this to a qualified web host so you can focus on designing

Member #
    A wise friend once told me "unless you are going to be there 24/7 to babysit the server at home, don't."

For me, its worth $3.95 a month to let someone else worry about paying for the electricity, the server and keeping it up and running. I use Bluehost and have no problems with them at all. I tried GoDaddy and will not go back there. Just getting to the Cpanel was 8 clicks or more and the lag was horrible.

Remove Ads