Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Godaddy Hate

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    What's the deal? Why the hate. I'll be honest, I don't have much experience beyond GD which has been fine for one site. I need to host a few different Wordpress based sites now and am considering a change...

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Why the hate?
    1. Low bandwidth due to their cheapness, meaning you get like 56k download speeds
    2. Overloaded servers with 100s of other sites hogging your CPU time
    3. No cPanel - you have to manage your website with stone-age tools
    4. 1 DB per account... uh, right...

Straight up, I love GD for registrar services, and their new Total DNS system ROCKS, but their hosting straight up SUCKS.

Cheers.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smoseley View Post
    Why the hate?
    1. Low bandwidth due to their cheapness, meaning you get like 56k download speeds
    2. Overloaded servers with 100s of other sites hogging your CPU time
    3. No cPanel - you have to manage your website with stone-age tools
    4. 1 DB per account... uh, right...

Straight up, I love GD for registrar services, and their new Total DNS system ROCKS, but their hosting straight up SUCKS.

Cheers.

Thanks. This was my suspicion. like i said, I'm looking to host multiple sites 3-4. Checked into site5 and ipage. Any feedback or recommendations others for this purpose?

Oh, and you get more then one DB per account. 9 i think.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Sectorlink Web Hosting, Dedicated Servers and Virtual Private Servers <--- you absolutely cannot go wrong with these guys for hosting. I've been using them almost 9 years now, and I have nothing but good things to say about them and the way they handle and treat their customers.

I've only used GD for dedicated hosting, and for that purpose they weren't bad. However, they weren't good either. They have an annoying rule where they cap your SMTP emails at 1000 per day unless you can show that you need more than 1000 per day (which is stupid because if you did, the cap blocks you from doing that), but other than that, they were fine. They were up all the time and easy enough to work with. They don't offer a CPanel that I know of with their dedicated service either, but that's actually a plus with a dedicated host (CPanel + a Windows box = pain to configure anything).

Domain registration is all they should do. They're good at it, and there are always coupon codes floating around. Hosting? Not so much.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    I'm not even a fan of them as a registrar! The admin panel is waayyy to cluttered. I JUST WANT TO CHANGE MY NAME SERVERS GODADDY.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonic View Post
    The admin panel is waayyy to cluttered. I JUST WANT TO CHANGE MY NAME SERVERS GODADDY.
    THAT iI can agree with. Their GUI is terrible. Used to dread doing anything there. Just now used to it. The learning curve at another host is not really something I'm looking forward to. WHERE THE FVCK is mysql Godaddy

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks for the advice. Sector link looks like an option.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I figure for the amount you save on domains, I can look past the clutter, although it has gotten a whole lot worse. And they offer some cheap SSLs that work pretty well and are easy to install, too.

One thing I will say for GoDaddy as a positive is that, if you do have to call them for something (I've had to a few times for various things over the years), they do know what they're talking about and questions can get answered.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    I figure for the amount you save on domains, I can look past the clutter, although it has gotten a whole lot worse. And they offer some cheap SSLs that work pretty well and are easy to install, too.

One thing I will say for GoDaddy as a positive is that, if you do have to call them for something (I've had to a few times for various things over the years), they do know what they're talking about and questions can get answered.
    I agree. Almost always have i got to the bottom with them. Seems as though sector link offers domain registration for free if you start a hosting account with them.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I wouldn't do that, even with Sectorlink (and I trust those guys with a dedicated server). You always want to keep your hosting and domains separate, just in case...you never know what's going to happen. For the 8-10 bucks a year a domain costs, it's worth the peace of mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads