Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey, just sorting out hosting my first website, and have a somple quetsion.

It's for a friends site and they'd like to be able to update content the themselves from time to time...

If I bought the below package would thsi be possible? not's not a big site so thought a personal package would be adequate...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What below package?

And it depends on what your friend would need.
    How much storage space?
    Bandwidth (my rule of thumb is storage space x 20)?
    How many email addresses?
    Email forwards?
    What programming languages/databases?

These are the questions you need to ask and answer or have answered.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    If they are looking to update the website themselves, you'd probably lean towards a CMS or Blog system, such as WordPress.

If this is the case, you will need PHP apache and a MySQL database (just one). Keep a look out for this when looking at the Hosting plans.

Member #
    You can buy a simple or basic hosting plan with any host. Install wordpress on it.

You manage sites tech stuff and your friend manages the content and update is site as often as he wants.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    most hosting companies offer at least two site builder programs. some you can customize pretty well, some not so much. wordpress is geared towards blogging and may be overkill, maybe not. do some searches for "CMS" on google, then search with the one you like plus the word "hosting". general rule of thumb for me, it must be in the us or canada. otherwise your site is subject to the politics of the region and is not protected by u.s. law.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Sometimes it takes trying a few to see what you like. I remember going thru 4 or 5 hosts, before settling on the one I have had for the last 7 years.
    Peace, Mike
    WebHost1-For all your Hosting needs.
    Leenkz.Com-The web starts here! (Blatant use of tables)
    I realllllly need to feel useful, please "like" my signatures!!!! (Button is on the bottom right!)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    If the people who are going to be doing the updates are not familiar with the proper code and the technology with doing the updates then I would definately go with a CMS or blog system. If they are familiar and comfortable with doing the updates then don't use a CMS or blog unless it's necessary. I personaly use Godaddy for all the hosting that I need because it's affordable, reliable and their customer service is top notch. I have used several different companies in the past and I have found Godaddy to be the most reliable so far. They have one click install for CMS and blog systems along with a WSIWYG website builder.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    your friend will need a hosting account that has database support. Most commonly the cheaper providers use Linux so they will support php and MYSQL. both of which are used for Content Management Systems and Blogging packages like Wordpress, Joomla or Drupal. Alot of these providers will have the support for your friend to install one of many solutions without technical knowledge. make sure he asks them if they have such options available with their hosting. Alot of them do but there are dodgy ones out there that charge for that feature. Good Luck.

Remove Ads