Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi there,
    I am doing a project for school that involves doing a poll about web hosting services. Can I ask you guys to take the time to fill out my simple survey? It should only take 5 min or less.
    Here is the link to my google docs poll:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/view...Z3NYTy12bWc6MQ
    Thank you so much for your help.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I helped you out because you were honest enough to admit it was for school and because it only took me 10 minutes (open-ended questions lead to me giving answers).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thank you so much for your response TheGame, I really appreciate it. Is there another place where I could post this to get more responses? I don't want to flood all forums everywhere with this, but I've only gotten a few responses so far.
    Alternatively, is there a good website to go to for unbiased web hosting reviews? So far, all the "review" sites I've seen have been very biased towards the hosts that obviously advertise heavily with them. It's tough to find any real unbiased reviews.
    Thanks again for your help!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    No problem, man.

You're going to have a tough time with something like this. Surveying web designers/developers is usually one of those things that has a low percentage response rate. I'm not really sure why that is...whether we're lazy, are forum/community leeches (i.e. take advice without giving any in return) or just don't want to help people. In some cases, though, it's understandable...some of us get bombarded with some obvious stupid requests, like people who are on EI and want to stay there asking about what they need to do to become a web designer and where to go to school and what to learn and how to become just like us! (Your survey clearly wasn't one of those...that's why I answered it).

As far as unbiased hosting review sites...in a word, no. Most review sites are biased, either toward the advertisers or in a lot of cases toward the people who spend the most on shill posters. About 9-10 years ago, they were pretty clean, but they've gradually deteriorated over the years into the crap you're running into now. About the only thing you can do is to read each review and then read between the lines of each review, making life so much more fun than it already was.

Good observation on your part, though...most people never see that.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I went ahead and answered as well - I remember what it was like when I was in school.

I hope my answers were of some use - I have only really used about 3 hosts in my life, and am currently with one I really like and have no intention of switching unless something drastic happens. I got lucky!
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I wish I could say the same thing about the number of hosts I've used in my life. I used quite a few more and probably forgot a couple in the process of filling out the form (mine's the survey that includes "Tentex" in it, in case you're wondering, Zeke). I'm lucky with the host I'm using now...very lucky. But some of the ones I've used over the years (Interland, Bellnet) have absolutely sucked. There's nothing worse than dealing with a host on an issue, knowing you know how to solve the issue if you had server access, and waiting two days to solve a two-minute issue.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Well, the one I'm with now and have been for years, I have never had to wait more than 2 minutes to speak to a live person, and most problems are resolved within a few minutes.

I actually had an htaccess problem a couple of years ago, while I was still in school, and the guy I spoke to talked me through an almost complete rewrite of the file. On top of that, the next day I got an e-mail from him, with a zipped folder attached, that had that file and a couple of variations in it, along with explanations as to what they would do. Talk about above and beyond!
    I love these guys. I only wish they were Canadian - then it would be perfect!
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Agreed. You'd never find anything like that around here, at least not for a competitive price. I actually had my present host solve a problem in less than 60 seconds...using their trouble ticket system, no less, because my phone battery had died. Haven't seen anyone do that before or since.

Remove Ads