Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Thought of a good domain name and looks like it expired 2 weeks ago. I've heard various things about when you can grab it: 30, 40, 75 days. Anyone have some good and current information on when a domain name is really available to register? The domain name is currently registered at GoDaddy.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    I wouldnt hold my breath wired, godaddy seems to like to hang on to them in hopes of making a bit more money from them. Go to godaddy, and see how much they want for it!
    Peace, Mike
    WebHost1-For all your Hosting needs.
    Leenkz.Com-The web starts here! (Blatant use of tables)
    I realllllly need to feel useful, please "like" my signatures!!!! (Button is on the bottom right!)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The term you're looking for is called the "grace period". It's the time during which a domain is expired and can still be renewed before it goes out into the wild for anyone to register.

In GoDaddy's case, it's 42 days for the most part.

http://help.godaddy.com/article/608
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    LeenkzMike: Yeah, but if I don't get it it's no biggie.

TheGAME1264: Grace period, thanks

On the 25th day after expiration, we put your domain name up for auction with a domain name industry auction service.
    Bastiges.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I have the same problem - only thing is that my old host failed to notify me of the renewal and it expired. So now it's in grace period and I cannot renew it = site is down. I had to buy the .net version of the domain so that at least my client is online and I'm checking daily to see if the grace period is over so that I can repurchase it.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Your registrar should allow you to renew it if it's in the grace period. Your host, unless the host is the registrar (BIG mistake if that's the case), has nothing to do with it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I bought it from the hosting company (at the time) as they were resellers. I tried contacting the company directly but got no reply. Now it's lying idle and i'm waiting for it to be cleared (hopefully).

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Hopefully you learned why to keep domain registrations and hosting services separate as a result of your little incident.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I might also suggest that if you get the domain name back, registering it for multiple years ( up to 10 is allowed ), you not only get discount pricing , but in some cases with some search engines give a better ranking to domains registered for longer periods of time ( most suggest 2 years at least )... not sure if that's still true... but $100.00 bucks for 10 years is cheap compared to the frustration you are going through.

Hope you get it back

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 204529
    ... in some cases with some search engines give a better ranking to domains registered for longer periods of time...
    Is that demonstrably true, or is it just speculation?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads