Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Before anyone asks, the reason I'm not involved with this is because I don't work for family. Period.

Anyway, my father-in-law has a rather strange hosting situation. He's a musician, so he needs a shared hosting plan with about 2 GB of storage space to store his MP3s and videos of his concerts (he lets people download them and make fan vids out of them). His site also has a tendency to chew up bandwidth as a result (about 60 GB a month). I'd show you the site, but his present host just shut it down.

Other than the bandwidth, the resource usage is minimal. It's all static HTML that he edits in Dreamweaver, despite my telling him not to for about the last 5 years. His budget is around $10/month if he can swing it.

Any advice? Thanks.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Hi,

I don't think the bandwidth is really an issue, you can get an unlimited data account for a little more than his budget.

The problem is the file types... to keep hosting cost low, most providers have put restrictions on what you can and can't have on the site... namely any video or music files... not for copyright issues, but from the fact that sites like these generally tend to become targets for malicous attacks to take control and hopefully insert their code into the videos and or music files.

Depending on his internet connections ( cable, dsl )... perhaps a creative solution with a Dynamic DNS and a old PC setup to serve the music files.... if a broadband connection is not available then that's not going to work.

Other than moving to a much higher cost "dedicated server"... you might find a "virtual host".. that allows you to host whatever files you like... but probably not in his budget ???

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Appreciate the help, but bandwidth is always an issue, my friend. Unlimited data does not exist, either. Unmetered data is one thing, but even that comes with an inherent risk. There are thousands of eerily similar horror stories about "excessive CPU usage shutting their accounts down." It happens. it's also what happened to him this past time around.

Thought of the DDNS idea myself, but we're based out of the Greater Toronto Area. Canadian bandwidth = a big pile of monkey crap served by two major providers (and several resellers for each), and both have a major tendency to oversell. Good thought, just won't work in the anti-technology, anti-real-progress environment that is the Great White North.

Anyway, he did figure this out (I think...he never did tell me, but he's got his site on a new server, so he's happy, and that's all I really care about). Thanks, anyway.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    The best thing you can do is get a hosting account (shared is best based on budget) that handles the storage and bandwidth requirements you have. The only concern you should have with choosing the right plan is what the cost is for that plan. The cheaper providers do not provide backups or guarantee data security / retention. Keep this in mind as it could end up costing alot more than just the monthly hosting cost. Consider taking your own backups regularly.

There are alot of cheap providers who provide reasonable service. Alot of them though do not do that well when it comes to disaster recovery etc as I mentioned above.

Good Luck

Remove Ads