Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    I'm relatively new to hosting and cPanel, but I do know that an SSL Certificate basically 'authenticates' you as the verified location/owner of the domain.

One problem i'm having is that one client who also has 5 emails with me, wants an easy quick way to log into the cPanel webmail, directly from the homepage of the site.

I have done this with no problems, and its works beautiful, except that the first time you log in on a different machine or device, you get confronted with a very intimidating warning message from the browser talking about SSL and authentication. I can tell my clients to just ignore it / allow the exception and get on with their lives, but i'd rather remove this for all potential future clients as well.

My host states that they offer 1 shared SSL Certificate for free, or I can purchase a private for $70/y (ouch!). I have a 're-sellers' account. Would purchasing the private fix this problem for ALL my hosted domains?

On a further note: does anyone know of a way to install a different webmail option in cPanel? Horde and Squirrel Mail are hideous.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Either one would if the SSL pointed to the mail server website. So if you've got say https://mail.hiImawickedcooldesigner.com/ and it points to your mail server website, then you'd be fine (assuming of course, you had a valid SSL for mail.hiimawickedcoolwebdesigner.com).

The SSL only works for the domain for which it's issued, including the host server. So if you register an SSL for www.hiimawickedcooldesigner.com, it won't work for hiimawickedcooldesigner.com without the www. Be aware of that, since it's pretty important. There is an exception to this in the form of wildcard SSLs (where *.hiimawickedcooldesigner.com works regardless of what * is), but they're really expensive.

I'd go with your own domain for this, and get a GoDaddy SSL certificate for it. They're officially $29.95 a year, but there's usually a coupon code floating around where you can get the certificate for $12.95 a year (I think it's PROMOSSL2011 or something like that). If you used your host's shared SSL, people will eventually clue in that it's a resold account and wonder why they're not paying the host directly. Not that there's anything wrong with what you're doing...it's just that people are cheap.

As far as a different webmail option goes, I don't see what's wrong with Horde or SquirrelMail other than the fact that the skin hasn't changed since about 1997. Seriously, check out MailEnable. I haven't used it...yet. I plan to in about a month's time, though, because it looks like it has some decent features. Not sure if it runs on a Linux box, but I have confirmed with Sectorlink that it will run on a Windows box.

So, to summarize this nicely:

- register a domain for customers to check your email with
    - get SSL cert from GoDaddy
    - look at MailEnable
    - I Tarzan, AlphaMare Jane
    AlphaMare and Harmonic like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I have tried Horde, Squirrelmail. Roundcube - they all suck - folders, sorting, any kind of management is molasses slow and kludgy.

I usually set up a g-mail account for my clients and then set up forwarders so their e-mail goes to that account. They can access it from anywhere, and it has much better management features that the cpanel webmail offerings I have seen. And it's free.

And this is for you, Game...
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Nice, except for one thing. He's got a million-dollar body and a 10-cent brain, while I've got a 10-cent body and a million-dollar brain. No wait...I've been at the gym pretty regularly. So my body's like one of those $2 items you see at the dollar store now. It's high-end by crap standards.

GMail's not a bad option, either, although I'm not a big fan of anything that doesn't include the client's domain.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Ah - I see. To misquote my old grandmother "Smart like tractor, strong like fox"? I guess as long as you reach "new heights of epic greatness" one way or another...

Fairly recently - I forget how long ago but seems to me within the last year - gmail added a feature that lets you set it up to send from another address, so it can be set to show as coming from the domain e-mail. So with forwarders in place and that feature activated, it works for those of my clients who want webmail but find the cpanel ones unacceptable.
    Harmonic likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Thanks for everything you two!
    I didn't want to use gmail as i did not know about the "Sending mail from a different address" feature! Damn Gmail is great! I will do this in th future if I have to, but I still don't want any google 'branding' if I can avoid it.

I'll look into mailEnable and some other cpanel webmail services, but if I can't find one I like and is cheap, Gmail wins!

Thats for the great replies,
    this really is a great forum!

Remove Ads