Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    justhost.com looks promising in features and has high reviews

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Not all of them. There are some pretty disturbing ones here.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    there went that idea, lol

i dont know, im lost on who to choose and trust

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    so i assume you do this with a hosting site that allows FTP?? also is there a limit to the amount of FTPs?? Do you rent a server??
    I have shared hosting. None of my sites are so huge that sharing becomes an issue - I've not experienced slowdowns - or at least haven't noticed any, which practically amounts to the same thing.
    I set up the FTP accounts through the cpanel - I don't use cpanel for file manipulation, but for setting up e-mails, FTP accounts, etc it is pretty good. Since only you have the password for the cpanel, the client cannot get in to change passwords or anything, and you can delete the FTP account at any time.
    It is a pretty simple wizard - first you fill in the username, password, and folder name, then click on create the account. Once created, the page will refresh and it will show up in a list. Now you can click on "configure FTP client" and you'll have all the info you need to set them up with access to their own folder.
    Here's a screenshot of the FTP setup (names have been changed for demonstration purposes.)

I hope this helps you out - I still advise you to call the support of several hosts that you think may answer your needs, and talk to them - and make sure you call tech support, not sales.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    a little but it still is all over my head, i am learning more and more about it

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    just curious but do you know a tutorial on how to allow someone to use a login password on a homepage to allow access through cpanel/their ftp??

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Well, usually it's as easy as putting/cpanel after the domain name. That would take you to a login page.

But you would never (ever, ever, ever) let anyone login to your cpanel because then they would have access to everything on your account -upload and download files, but also every e-mail account, file permissions, FTP accounts, databases, domain transfers, adding and removing services - a real nightmare.

I'll explain a little about why I sound so paranoid. I had (note the past tense) a client who asked me for the password so they could download a file - they thought that since I had finished the site, they could just take over (apparently they thought that you could just copy-and-paste from Word to create content). Anyway, they changed the password, which effectively locked me out of the site, and then screwed up the site really badly. As a final show of absurdity, they then came screaming at me, threatening to sue if I didn't fix it.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think personally if you're going to host multiple domains a better option than the model AlphaMare has (ie. one account with add on domains etc.) would be to buy a reseller account from a host - that way each of your customers/sites would have their own control panel and the nightmare story that we've just all heard could not happen (ie. they could only change THEIR password, not yours or anybody else's).

Sean
    suncoast likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    How, incidently, can I be a "New Member" when I've posted 868 messages?? Yet "graphicsman" is a "Member" on 50??

Sean

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmiller, post: 202444
    I think personally if you're going to host multiple domains a better option than the model AlphaMare has (ie. one account with add on domains etc.) would be to buy a reseller account from a host - that way each of your customers/sites would have their own control panel and the nightmare story that we've just all heard could not happen (ie. they could only change THEIR password, not yours or anybody else's).

Sean
    Hi - I think I explained badly - the addons and subdomains are mine, and nobody touches my cpanel.

The client locked me out of their account (a separate one) and messed up the site. They had wanted to prove to me that they could "do" the site as easily as I could and that I was charging them too much. Once they messed it up they panicked and came to me to fix it in a hurry.

In the end I got back in and fixed the site, and they admitted it was harder than they thought, while still peevishly wanting to know why they couldn't just cut and paste from Word to make changes on a page.

I suggested if they wanted to do the updates themselves, which was not in our contract, I could set them up with WordPress, but it would cost a bit more. They went ballistic and fired me on the spot.

They still have not paid me, but on the other hand I don't have to deal with them any more and it wasn't a lot of money, so I guess I kinda broke even on that one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads